Doing carbon seal on challenger 180

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Hey guys. New to seadoo boats and jet boats. I plan on doing my carbon seal in a week or so. I have a 2006 180 215hp with 95 hours and have a bit of cavitation on the hole shot. New wear ring and impeller. I’m decently mechanically inclined when it comes to cars so I’m comfortable doing this on the boat. Anyway if I’m pulling the pump and everything is there any other seals I should be replacing too? If so please let me know. Also any tips would be awesome! Pic of the units!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2815.jpeg
    IMG_2815.jpeg
    507.2 KB · Views: 10
My experience.....

All boats have some slight cavitation in a full throttle hole shot. They are much heavier than a PWC with the same Pump Size. I chased mine until I realized this fact. (I used a GoPro with an LED on it watching the carbon seal through a bunch of hole shots.)

I was new to jet boats, like you had no reference point, but your slight cavitation may be well beyond my slight cavitation...

As for the job...

Lots of videos on this, I find this video one of the best.

You will need a tool to push back the hat to release the c-clip. The rest is pretty straight forward. If I were doing it I would replace:

Carbon Ring
Support Ring
C-Clip
2 x O-rings for support ring
Bellow
2 x bellow clamps.
2 x O-rings for PTO shaft end. (at min, if the PTO End Bellow and Bearing end are good)

Only advice is to not let the shaft sit unsupported as it can deform the pto shaft bellow and damage the o-rings.

My experience.....

All boats have some slight cavitation in a full throttle hole shot. They are much heavier than a PWC with the same Pump Size. I chased mine until I realized this fact. (I used a GoPro with an LED on it watching the carbon seal through a bunch of hole shots.)

I was new to jet boats, like you had no reference point, but your slight cavitation may be well beyond my slight cavitation...

As for the job...

Lots of videos on this, I find this video one of the best.

You will need a tool to push back the hat to release the c-clip. The rest is pretty straight forward. If I were doing it I would replace:

Carbon Ring
Support Ring
C-Clip
2 x O-rings for support ring
Bellow
2 x bellow clamps.
2 x O-rings for PTO shaft end. (at min, if the PTO End Bellow and Bearing end are good)

Only advice is to not let the shaft sit unsupported as it can deform the pto shaft bellow and damage the o-rings.
Hey thank you 👍👍. I think mine is worse than normal it seems. Some People day they never have it at all so it’s really weird

I agree, I have a new wear ring, Impeller, carbon seal and I have always had a bit of cavitation if I were to pin it out of the hole. I have driven a brand new 165id and had the same slight cavitation. Again, it is not bad but I just attribute it to limitations of impeller pitch, size, weight, against the amount of HP these machines can generate.

I am guessing a qualified prop tuner could work it out.

Curious if others can straight out mash the throttle out of the hole and not have some cavitation?

I agree, I have a new wear ring, Impeller, carbon seal and I have always had a bit of cavitation if I were to pin it out of the hole. I have driven a brand new 165id and had the same slight cavitation. Again, it is not bad but I just attribute it to limitations of impeller pitch, size, weight, against the amount of HP these machines can generate.

I am guessing a qualified prop tuner could work it out.

Curious if others can straight out mash the throttle out of the hole and not have some cavitation?
From what others have said yes, if I just pin it out of the hole I have cavitation for a good 4-5 seconds off the limiter

Back