Carbon seal not sealing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Srt

Hey all,

New to me 2004 Sportster 4-tec. I've replaced almost everything in the driveline including the driveshaft, only the impeller is reused. I just put in a new carbon ring and it doesn't seal. I'm new to Seadoo, is there some trick to making it seal? Does it take some run time for the ring to get polished and seat/seal to the steel ring?

I tried pushing the carbon ring against the steel ring and still had a steady stream of water dripping out.

The bellows for the carbon ring is new.

The carbon ring seems to sit slightly off center to the steel ring.

Any ideas?

Can you ‘tweek’ the boot to make the seal ‘align’ (set on center ) with the hat?

Wiggling the boot around by hand and pressing the carbon ring against the steel ring doesn't really stop it. I have it pulled apart again and am going to polish both ring mating faces and see if that helps

Did you also replace what I call the "top hat" that stainless steel piece that forms the seal with the carbon ring? You should not have to polish anything. We replaced both of mine last summer...I have two 215 hp in my 230 Wake. I have also heard that if the shaft is not aligned properly, this can create a problem. Are all the parts OEM components? There should be no leaking...it should seal completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back