C clip install?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterbug13

I changed out the carbon seal and have the drive shaft all put back in and everything there looks great! But I can not get my hands in the area to put the C clip back in! What's some idea of tricks here? I don't want to remove the oil cooler line that is in the way unless I really need too. It's on a 2012 seadoo challenger 210 with 155hp. Thanks for any tips

I just did this for the first time on my single engine speedster. I am sure it will be somewhat simmilar. First is you need something to keep the prop shaft from sliding back either somebody holding it or I fabbed up a little bar the bolted to the pump housing to keep it from sliding. I then put a small maybe 8" long 2x4 under the prop shaft up against the PTO housing and then used 2 pry bars ( or longish flat balde screwdriver) to pry the ring back evenly on both sides using the 2x4 as a place to pry agaist. After I pried it back I only held it with one pry bar and used my other hand to push on the c clip. This would be much easier to do with 2 people if you are not using the official tools.

I'm about to change the carbon seal on my 180, so let us know how you make out. I've never done it before, but I did buy the aftermarket tool for sliding the collar back. I kind of assume I'm going to need a helper to get this done.

I have the pry bar tool and can use it to slide everything back my problem is I can't get my hands in there to put the C clip back on. Oh the pry bar tool works great! It's actually not to bad changing out the carbon seal I just had other issues because the boat has been in salt water a few times before me and I had to cut parts off and replace them. That and my 210 is a non super charged boat I keep getting super charged parts even after I tell them it's not.

Definitely doesn't look like a lot of room to work down there.

I usually look up all the part numbers myself prior to going to the dealer to avoid the problem of getting the wrong parts.

It's not really a c clip in that regard.
Dont think that will hold it but it did give me a idea to find some long needle nose pliers they might. I just found out my neighbors son in law is the number 3 seadoo mech in the indy and he does work at home. So I may see if I can get him to do it if I cant get it. One thing I've learned from fixing all these dam German cars over the years is there usually a trick and once you know it they become easy. So I'm sure he knows a trick or has a tool for it.

I see what you are saying now. I just looked up the Challenger engine compartment and you have pretty terrible access back there. I would second the needle nose vice grips. If that won't do it maybe remove the sun deck / engine cover, put some padding on top of the engine and lay across it and try " from the opposite direction"

I changed my carbon ring yesterday. It was easier than I expected aside from needing assistance to put the drive shaft back in.
As far as the C-clip is concerned, I did a "reach around" from underneath and was able to push it in by hand while holding the floating ring back with the tool. It was too awkward from the top because the tool gets in the way. Long nose pliers would of worked as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back