Buying A 2012 Seadoo Speedster 150 - 255 SC

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

alindley

Hi, pretty new to the forums, had a sea doo before and these helped alot!

So, on Saturday I'm supposed to be buying a 2012 Sea Doo Speedster 150, 255 supercharger with 70 hours on it.
He's saying he is selling so he can get a bigger boat.

I was just wondering if theres anything I should look at or be weary of before I purchase this? I am getting it for 14,000 cdn.

I have only had 1 look at it but it looks BRAND new to me. No form of rust anywhere on the trailer let alone scratches, maybe 1 or 2 knicks around the hull from dock rash, I couldnt get a good look at the impeller, but underneath looked just as clean, the grates were in brand new condition as well. I definitely wanted to get a second look at it before I bought it, but he is a couple hours away and is willing to bring me it to me, so I the only other time I will get to look at it is delivery on saturday. I never got a chance to look at the engine, but I will definitely take a look Saturday. Is it safe to turn it on for a couple seconds out of water or should I just let it be until I get a chance to drop it in?

Just wondering about everything else I should be looking at, cosmetically it is MINT, one tiny rip in the seat near where it meets the ground, girlfriend said it looked a bit rusty on the rear view mirror but I didnt notice it, trailer was PERFECT, tires/rims look like they have been driven on twice.

Also was wondering about maintenance and what not as I hope to keep this for quite some time! (Premium gas only, how often for oil changes, supercharge rebuild, how should I be driving it, let the engine warm up for so long?)

Thanks!

Also, there is a "slight lien" on it he says, couple thousand dollars, this isnt something I should be weary of is it? If he's planning on getting a new boat thats something hell have to take care of forsure anyways, but just incase. We might just go to the bank together, and I trust him aswell, just never been in this sort of situation before, definitely the biggest purchase Ive ever been in.

Always get a clean title.. The Super/charger needs to be rebuilt use pwcmuscle.com they will treat you well, they have done 2 for me and might have a 3rd on the way.. Make sure you test drive the boat that's a must also..

How often does the supercharger need to be rebuilt? And is that an end of the season thing? I take it off and send it in ?

It still has a year left of factory warrenty he said.

And there really isn't a very easy way to take it for a test drive, I was thinking about taking it to the dealer in town to have it looked at before hand, but seeing as it still has powertrain warrenty I am ok with not taking it for a test drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thanks!

Anything else I should be doing? I wanted to drop it off to get a look over before I use it, but theres a 6 day turn around. What should I be doing to keep it in good shape? (apart from getting 100 bumpers)

I had one fail at 51 hours 2007 Seadoo speedster. S/C was rebuilt at 29 hours with all new updated parts and bearing failed at 51 hours. The S/C designs is junk. The bearings get no oil for lubrication or cooling. The S/C get no water cooling. Love the boat wish there was are real updated design for the S/C ..

Last edited by a moderator:
The lien can be a NIGHTMARE! When I purchased my boat, there was a lien. It took TWO MONTHS of back and forth with the guy I purchased the boat from, the State of California, that held the title, and the bank the held the lien, before I could register the boat. And, this guy met me at my bank and signed all paperwork. It was still a NIGHTMARE. The guy needs to meet you ate his bank, where the lien is held, pay it off, get a letter confirming it is paid, and also get a letter saying that he gives permission to RELEASE the lien. Then he needs to go with you to motor vehicles and sign anything they want, or good luck getting it registered!

I one fail at 51 hours 2007 Seadoo speedster. S/C was rebuilt at 29 hours all new updated parts and bearing failed at 51 hours. The S/C designs is junk. The bearings get no oil for lubrication or cooling. The S/C get no water cooling. Love the boat wish there was are real updated design for the S/C ..
While your experience certainly sucks, it's not the norm for that low hours after rebuild. You are the lucky 1%.

The lien can be a NIGHTMARE! When I purchased my boat, there was a lien. It took TWO MONTHS of back and forth with the guy I purchased the boat from, the State of California, that held the title, and the bank the held the lien, before I could register the boat. And, this guy met me at my bank and signed all paperwork. It was still a NIGHTMARE. The guy needs to meet you ate his bank, where the lien is held, pay it off, get a letter confirming it is paid, and also get a letter saying that he gives permission to RELEASE the lien. Then he needs to go with you to motor vehicles and sign anything they want, or good luck getting it registered!

Perfect thanks, he said he will go with me if I'm worried, but he seems pretty legit coming with his kid and stuff to go camping after and not many banks are open on the weekend. He said first thing Monday he will be taking care of it. I got an official "paper" for this as well for him to sign. I have his address and everything as well if anything does go sour, hoping for the greater good on this one, as I am undercutting him alot can't ask too too much out of him. But thanks for the heads up.

Anyone have anything else to recommend? Checking to motor, carbon seal, hours, drive shaft, impellor, making sure it starts up with 1 click and than shutting it off right away. Is there anything else I should be weary of ?

Hes dropping it off at 8 am and I work until 3 am so I will be a bit groggy, I made a checklist of everything I could think of but if anyone has any other pointers it would be great! Thanks for all the info.

Got the boat, took it out today, worked pretty nice, was SUPER wavy for a canadian lake near shore, was just wondering if there anything like a trim system on these boats?

I could barely hit any speed cause we just kept jumping and splashing (for me would have been fine but had my girlfriend and her sister who don't like fun) but regardless was just wondering if there is any way to control this? There was a bigger Sea Doo Challenger out that was just cutting thru the wave towing people, but apart from being my first time driving a boat, it was pretty crazy!

Took it upto 3/4 throttle for a few seconds and punched hard until they were scared and had to let off, motor sounded good no issues that I could notice. I left it on temperature gauge mode as he told me it'll run ~180 all day, when you're ripping about 190s but dont let it get any higher, i hit about 194, but for the most time it was so wavy we just sat out and chilled on the boat, and turned it on every 10 15 mins as the current was dragging us back to shore real quick.

Had no issues starting it up, always fired after a second or two. The motor actually had 87 hours on it, and when he dropped it off he hit the bilge pump and it spit out a bit of water. We took on ALOT of water throughout the day (waves crashing over, or the tip just going under a wave quick) eventually drained into the holes, but when I went to use the bilge pump when I go out, nothing came out???

Need a calm test to really test it, but how should I drive it to keep it nice? Is full throttle ok for the machines? Proper warm up time?

The water crashing over the top doesn't enter the bilge area it drains through a scupper valve located in the back. I have the same situation with rough water, wife doesn't like it. Trim tabs help larger boats but I haven't found any that would fit on a 150 transom and I'm not even sure it would help. They smooth the ride by keeping the bow down but I would assume it will take on even more water? We just don't go out in rough water anymore. You will love the boat on a calm day, it's a blast!

The water crashing over the top doesn't enter the bilge area it drains through a scupper valve located in the back. I have the same situation with rough water, wife doesn't like it. Trim tabs help larger boats but I haven't found any that would fit on a 150 transom and I'm not even sure it would help. They smooth the ride by keeping the bow down but I would assume it will take on even more water? We just don't go out in rough water anymore. You will love the boat on a calm day, it's a blast!

And it drains right out of the boat? I was just worried about the little storage area cause im sure alot of the water goes down into. Ya I figured as much, rough water was the main issue.

And it drains right out of the boat? I was just worried about the little storage area cause im sure alot of the water goes down into. Ya I figured as much, rough water was the main issue.

yep, from deck out though the scupper valve and bilge pumpi f the water goes into the hull. manual has diagram.

Perfect thanks.

Other than that it ran pretty well! Hoping to get it out again very soon in calmer waters. So what is the best way to run it? Let it warm up for 5-10 minutes than am I good to rip it? I'm a bit scared to keep it full throttle because of what I went thru with my sea doo.
Is it fine to keep it full throttle for like a minute or 2? The guy told me to not let it get above like 190 degress on the temperature guage. Runs at 180 all day if you're just cruising, but if you punch it, not to go any higher than like 194 degrees.

I hade one fail at 51 hours 2007 Seadoo speedster. S/C was rebuilt at 29 hours all new updated parts and bearing failed at 51 hours. The S/C designs is junk. The bearings get no oil for lubrication or cooling. The S/C get no water cooling. Love the boat wish there was are real updated design for the S/C ..

You can drill the housing to get oil to the bearings, and I believe the newer models already have the drilled port.

Found this, I'll dig more though.

Neither did the SeaDoo superchargers! The bearings were on the far side of the clutch away from the crankcase wall..for those of us who knew about it-when changing the clutch washers, you could drill a hole in the throat of the charger body to allow oil to be emptied into the tunnel from crankcase in order to get to the back bearings!! Only after the customers modded that little feature did SeaDoo get smart and start allowing for the bearings to be oiled!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back