1997 Seadoo GTI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

pcreson

Hi, I am new to pwc and I am looking at buying at two 1997 Sea doo GTI's. The price is ready good but I am a little hesitant. One of them is apart and the other needs a battery. Is there anything I should know to look at before buying them?

Last edited:
look at the post at the top of this forum "things to look for buying a used Seadoo"

My son-in-law got a 97 GTI and a trailer for $1 from a family that had owned it since new. It had only been professionally maintained, it had never been rebuilt, looked almost new on the outside and it had not run in 8 years. It had been running fine but it just failed to start one day. I am the mechanic in our family so I got it running with a carb rebuild (little filter was clogged causing the non-running condition) and a battery. With other maintenance items like fuel lines, trailer tires,, new beeper etc, we had a 40 MPH ski for under $500. What made it easiest to fix was that it was complete and nobody had jacked with it. No weird wiring, no oil injection modifications, really nothing was touched and if it had been touched, it was put back like it was when it left the factory. While I am a pretty good wrench, I wouldn't touch a ski that is apart as my first ski. Too many fiddly bits to get wrong. I would also shy away from a salt water boat. I have never had corroded bolt issues that riun your day. Read that thread on buying a ski when you look at the complete one. That is solid avice. I first started our ski by jumping it with a car battery, car not running, so theere is no excuse to buy a non-running boat unless you know its true history or you get it for $1.

This GTI is a family friendly beast. Sable and fast enough for fun. Simple with the 717 and a single carb and no RAVE valves. Roomy to work on if can call it that. After 4 years with this GTI, we are into it $2700. That is with a BRP rebuilt short block ($1300 with tax and a warranty), new rotary cover, new carb, etc. I can't image it ran any better when new since everything is new now. Still it ran fine with low compression, rusty cylinders, leaky crank seals and large rotary clearance. I am a big fan of the single carb 717.

Are you a good mechanic? Remember these at over 20 years old, almost 30 now. they need TLC from the start. If the GTI look really bad that may say the were not cared for and will cost you to fix. Keep in mind a rebuilt engine is about $1K, Most Seadoo dealers wont work on them anymore. Other wise it is not too expensive to fix if you have the skill. If you can learn and have patience they are fun to work on!
If you are not mechanically incline or know someone who is , IMO stay away from non running skis.

Back