Broken Pump Housing Stud- Solution????

Status
Not open for further replies.

groundfisher

Water Crafts
00' GTX RFI
97 GS
96 SPX
What is the best solution for repairing a broken stud that holds the pump housing to the transum. When I was removing the housing, the stud simply brake in half as I thought that I was loosening the nut. I've never had this happen.

Attachments

Dr Honda

Staff member
Water Crafts
'00 Polaris Genesis
'96 XP800
'02 Islandia 240 EFI
The stud is threaded into the hull. Just put 2 nuts on what is left, and tighten them together, and pull the stud out. Or... if there aren't enough threads for 2 nuts... get one nut on it... and weld it to the stud. Not a big deal. As I recall... it 10 x 1.5 mm threads.

IDoSeaDoo

Water Crafts
1995 Sea Doo XP800 (future project)
2009 Yamaha FX HO
1997 Seadoo Challenger 4tec
Dr. Honda, I just wanted to personally thank you for that "two nuts" tip (don't mean to sound perverted :p) I just got a 97 Challenger and was really worried about what to do when I broke off one of the pump studs. I've generally had bad luck trying to turn out things like this in the past with vice grips. The stud had just a little more than one nut's thread left, but miraculously, I had a a thin half-nut in my inventory. Screwed them on, used a cheater bar on the inner nut and it came out effortlessly. I genuinely appreciate all of your invaluable advice. Your words are a real asset to this forum.

ocod

Water Crafts
2014 FX SHO // 2015 VXR
Dr. Honda, I just wanted to personally thank you for that "two nuts" tip (don't mean to sound perverted :p) I just got a 97 Challenger and was really worried about what to do when I broke off one of the pump studs. I've generally had bad luck trying to turn out things like this in the past with vice grips. The stud had just a little more than one nut's thread left, but miraculously, I had a a thin half-nut in my inventory. Screwed them on, used a cheater bar on the inner nut and it came out effortlessly. I genuinely appreciate all of your invaluable advice. Your words are a real asset to this forum.

Hey,

Congrats on the boat. You just pick it up?

IDoSeaDoo

Water Crafts
1995 Sea Doo XP800 (future project)
2009 Yamaha FX HO
1997 Seadoo Challenger 4tec
Sure did! :) 97 Challenger 110. The exterior is in great shape, it was garage kept half its life, and under two covers the other half. Engines are simple to fix/replace, but a good exterior... that's hard to find. The boat lost a rave two years ago and just sat there since. Got it for $1500 with trailer, covers, and a slew of life jackets. The cylinders were good, I cleaned 'em up and am getting 155psi in each hole on the replacement motor I threw together. Need to pull old motor out and put in new one. Hopefully that'll be all. Jetta pulls it just fine, though it does shake side-side a bit. Will be checking trailer tires/bearings after I get it running...

Strizzo

Water Crafts
97 XP, 95 GTX
you could also use a stud puller/installer, "free" rental from most auto parts stores, basically a socket with rollers that grab the stud without mashing the threads so you can turn it.

Minnetonka4me

Local Guide
Premium Member
Local Guide
Water Crafts
3 Modded 96XPs -=-
93 GTX for the GF -=-
and over 300 as parts for sale! -=-
Yup I was going to say the same thing...I used the two nut trick till I bought a stud puller. (thats what she said)

I would heat that sucker up first though..if it snapped it must be in there pretty good. Heat will break the loctite down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

SPONSORED LINKS

Usergroup

Administrator Moderator Premium Member