Broken Pump Housing Stud- Solution????

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

groundfisher

What is the best solution for repairing a broken stud that holds the pump housing to the transum. When I was removing the housing, the stud simply brake in half as I thought that I was loosening the nut. I've never had this happen.

Attachments

• IMAG0180.jpg
    IMAG0180.jpg
    961.9 KB · Views: 48
The stud is threaded into the hull. Just put 2 nuts on what is left, and tighten them together, and pull the stud out. Or... if there aren't enough threads for 2 nuts... get one nut on it... and weld it to the stud. Not a big deal. As I recall... it 10 x 1.5 mm threads.

Dr. Honda, I just wanted to personally thank you for that "two nuts" tip (don't mean to sound perverted :p) I just got a 97 Challenger and was really worried about what to do when I broke off one of the pump studs. I've generally had bad luck trying to turn out things like this in the past with vice grips. The stud had just a little more than one nut's thread left, but miraculously, I had a a thin half-nut in my inventory. Screwed them on, used a cheater bar on the inner nut and it came out effortlessly. I genuinely appreciate all of your invaluable advice. Your words are a real asset to this forum.

Dr. Honda, I just wanted to personally thank you for that "two nuts" tip (don't mean to sound perverted :p) I just got a 97 Challenger and was really worried about what to do when I broke off one of the pump studs. I've generally had bad luck trying to turn out things like this in the past with vice grips. The stud had just a little more than one nut's thread left, but miraculously, I had a a thin half-nut in my inventory. Screwed them on, used a cheater bar on the inner nut and it came out effortlessly. I genuinely appreciate all of your invaluable advice. Your words are a real asset to this forum.

Hey,

Congrats on the boat. You just pick it up?

Sure did! :) 97 Challenger 110. The exterior is in great shape, it was garage kept half its life, and under two covers the other half. Engines are simple to fix/replace, but a good exterior... that's hard to find. The boat lost a rave two years ago and just sat there since. Got it for $1500 with trailer, covers, and a slew of life jackets. The cylinders were good, I cleaned 'em up and am getting 155psi in each hole on the replacement motor I threw together. Need to pull old motor out and put in new one. Hopefully that'll be all. Jetta pulls it just fine, though it does shake side-side a bit. Will be checking trailer tires/bearings after I get it running...

you could also use a stud puller/installer, "free" rental from most auto parts stores, basically a socket with rollers that grab the stud without mashing the threads so you can turn it.

Yup I was going to say the same thing...I used the two nut trick till I bought a stud puller. (thats what she said)

I would heat that sucker up first though..if it snapped it must be in there pretty good. Heat will break the loctite down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back