Blown 25 amp Battery Fuse

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TenRC

Hey Guys,

I need a little help here. I have seen similar posts with no solution. I hope someone out there can help.

Here it is...

I have two 2003 XP DIs. My son took one of them out a couple of weeks ago and it completely died after running through some hard turns.

I am a controls engineer but there is not enough info in the manual I found to make sense of the problem. Here is what I know.

1) 25 Amp Battery fuse blows quickly when Lanyard is connected to the post.
2) Disconnected all other fuses except Main and Bilge and tried again. Problem persists. - Schematic does not identify beyond the fuses but something is causing the short.
3) Reinstalled fuses - Disconnected 30 Amp Main. Problem went away. - I think the problem is after power reaches the MPEM
4) Reinstalled Main - Disconnected Regulator. Problem persists. - I think Stator is OK.

Bought these skis new and have never had a problem with them in the last 10 years.

If you have seen this problem before or have any additional troubleshooting ideas, please let me know.

Thanks in advance...
Steve

Hi and Welcome to the SeaDoo forum.

Try disconnecting the VTS, there should be a black connector, with red and black wires just above the battery.

Lou

Disconnected three cables running next to the battery. No change. - The drawings imply power must go through one of the secondary branch circuit fuses. So this problem, in my mind, indicates a short prior to the secondary circuits or through a component not shown in the schematics. Does anyone disagree or have further ideas? :cheers:

Check the resistance on your stator wiring, I remember reading somewhere about a yaht captain that had been wrestling with a similar issue in a 3d di that ended up being a shorted stator winding due to metal shavings from the bendix

So things makes me think that the mpem is trying to send power somewhere and finding a dead short (fuel pump)

That 30 amp main is more than the rear 25 and so the 25 blow's but it might be just a symptom and not pointing to the problem.

The mpem is always getting power so if it was the culprit then the lanyard wouldn't matter.

But when you put it on, the mpem powers up all its pereferal's and something is shorting to ground and blowing that one fuse since its the weakest link.

Thats my theory for now, Have to see a wiring diagram to narrow it down.

Just curious about something to help troubleshoot if its the stator or not.

If you hook everything up and put good fuses in and then unplug the red wire coming out of the regulator and measure the voltage coming from the wire that was going to the mpem, to ground. Do you get power with the lanyard off and If not do you get power when you install the lanyard.

If you do get power all the time on that wire then a shorted stator would cause the fuse would blow all the time as soon as it was put in. BUT if the mpem disconnects that line when its powered off you wouldn't know if you had a shorted stator or not.

If you don't get power on that wire but you do when you put the lanyard in and the fuse doesn't blow then that also leads to a shorted stator.

If it still acts the same way as it did before then your into checking all the preferal's, Fuel pump is the first thing to come to mind and then see what else is on the wiring diagram.

If with everything else checked out, then it points towards the mpem having an internal short.

Check the resistance on your stator wiring, I remember reading somewhere about a yaht captain that had been wrestling with a similar issue in a 3d di that ended up being a shorted stator winding due to metal shavings from the bendix

I disconnected the amplifier from the circuit earlier and the fuse still blew. I believe that should have removed the stator from the circuit.

So things makes me think that the mpem is trying to send power somewhere and finding a dead short (fuel pump)

That 30 amp main is more than the rear 25 and so the 25 blow's but it might be just a symptom and not pointing to the problem.

The mpem is always getting power so if it was the culprit then the lanyard wouldn't matter.

But when you put it on, the mpem powers up all its pereferal's and something is shorting to ground and blowing that one fuse since its the weakest link.

Thats my theory for now, Have to see a wiring diagram to narrow it down.

Just curious about something to help troubleshoot if its the stator or not.

If you hook everything up and put good fuses in and then unplug the red wire coming out of the regulator and measure the voltage coming from the wire that was going to the mpem, to ground. Do you get power with the lanyard off and If not do you get power when you install the lanyard.

If you do get power all the time on that wire then a shorted stator would cause the fuse would blow all the time as soon as it was put in. BUT if the mpem disconnects that line when its powered off you wouldn't know if you had a shorted stator or not.

If you don't get power on that wire but you do when you put the lanyard in and the fuse doesn't blow then that also leads to a shorted stator.

If it still acts the same way as it did before then your into checking all the preferal's, Fuel pump is the first thing to come to mind and then see what else is on the wiring diagram.

If with everything else checked out, then it points towards the mpem having an internal short.

The 25 Amp fuse blows like a dead short. Very volatile. I am beginning to think I need to pull the mpem and visually check it for a short. As hard as the fuse blows, there should be some sign of a problem. I have a few days before I can get to this since it does not look too easy. So if anyone else comes up with another option, please let me know. I know I have seen similar posts but did not see a valid solution. Bummer... Will try pulling the mpem and see what's what. I'll keep you posted and thanks for your suggestions.

Did you disconnect the fuel pump?

I saw that you disconnect wires that run by the battery. Is one of these the feed wire to the fuel pump?

I agree it is from the MPEM out due to the amperage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back