1995 seadoo xp vts clicking

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Owenl

I have a 1995 seadoo xp. When I hit the up and down button it clicks. Now I just bought a new vts module box because before when the ski was running white smoke would come out if it and it would only click when you hit the up button. Now with the new one it clicks going up and down. I tested the motor and it reads 01.5 ohms and the vts box reads 0.00 ohms all the fuses are good but the one fuse that’s by it self which I believe is the vts fuse had a 20amp fuse the other 2 have a 5 and a 15 which I replaced bey before I put the 5 and 15 it had a 20 and 15. Any help I don’t know where to go from here and I don’t know what size fuse should be in the one I circled in the pic

Attachments

• 0D45AAAA-4D30-4A2D-BBEA-32A2955D5F0D.jpeg
    0D45AAAA-4D30-4A2D-BBEA-32A2955D5F0D.jpeg
    360.2 KB · Views: 20
The motor is probably bad. Pull it off and open it up, you may be able to free it up but they’re like $70 so it’s not awful to just replace it.
Mine had what looked like a ball out of a ball bearing wedged in it and keeping it from spinning. Took that out and it’s been fine sense.

Also take the motor out of the VTS box and just connect the wires to the battery to see if it will spin. It’s a reverse polarity motor so it won’t matter what wire goes on which terminal on the battery.
If it doesn’t spin doing that than it’s the motor

The motor is probably bad. Pull it off and open it up, you may be able to free it up but they’re like $70 so it’s not awful to just replace it.
Mine had what looked like a ball out of a ball bearing wedged in it and keeping it from spinning. Took that out and it’s been fine sense.

Also take the motor out of the VTS box and just connect the wires to the battery to see if it will spin. It’s a reverse polarity motor so it won’t matter what wire goes on which terminal on the battery.
If it doesn’t spin doing that than it’s the motor
It’s a new motor and vts box well they’re not new there used “new to me” and the guy claimed they were great working parts. I messaged him and he said they worked and he tested it and when I told him what happens when I click the down button the motor clicks and when I hit the up button nothing happens he said there’s a black box in my grey electrical box that might be bad. Is he talking about the empm? The ski starts up and runs great tho just the vts issues

Did you buy it off eBay? Because if you did chances are the motor doesn’t work. Take the vts motor out of the ski and test it on a battery. If it doesn’t spin your motor is shot and you get to spend 70-80 dollars on a new one

Did you buy it off eBay? Because if you did chances are the motor doesn’t work. Take the vts motor out of the ski and test it on a battery. If it doesn’t spin your motor is shot and you get to spend 70-80 dollars on a new one
I’ve thought about it being the motor I haven’t tested it but it only clickes when I hit the down button nothing when I hit up. Could it be that controller or I think it’s the mpem in the gray electrical box. That’s also what the guy was saying he thinks is bad. I’m not sure if it’s the smoke I think it is but I’ll show you a pic

Attachments

• 926AE64D-2CAC-48E9-9F8D-EDC9156602CE.jpeg
    926AE64D-2CAC-48E9-9F8D-EDC9156602CE.jpeg
    360.1 KB · Views: 13
About VTS issues. I have 4 XP's and have had to rebuild 3 of the VTS units. There are two levels of problems. If the boot on the shaft fails than water gets inside the unit and can damage the small drive motor. However, I have found that the damage is usually limited to rusting of the exterior and soaking the motor in HD paint thinner will get it going again. The worst outcome is failed electronics. This can be repaired but takes time and talent because the electronics are sealed in the box behind the egg shaped motor enclosure. Usually, what happens here is one of the two relays goes bad or becomes disconnected from the circuit board due to water getting under the sealant and corroding the printed circuit board. The relays are controlled by a simple bit of electronics which seldom fails (unless connected incorrectly). From what you describe, clicking in one direction but not the other, suggests that one of the relays is not closing. You can attempt to make the repair by heating the potting material with a heat gun and carefully carving it away. You will see in the middle of the board the 5 pins for each relay poking up through the board. Try cleaning and resoldering the pins. The theory behind the electronics is as follows: There are two relays, one for up and one for down. These relays convey (relatively) high current from the red power wire to the motor. The relays are activated by two low current circuits that responds to the up-down button. When the button is pushed one of the circuits sends current to close its relay and thus send current to the motor. There are about a dozen magnetic switches on the other side of the board that limit the distance the motor can drive the shaft and which respond to the position of the drive shaft. These can fail but probably not your problem.

You can test to make sure power is getting to the relays by using a volt meter. Hook the meter ground to the negative term on your battery. If I recall correctly, one of the pins on each relay is always hot with power coming from the red power lead. You should be able to get a 12v (hot) reading off that pin on both relays. Now have someone hold the up-down button in one position. You should find that a different pin on one of the relays is now hot as it has been powered by the low current circuit. If you move the button to the opposite position then the same pin on the other relay should be hot. The pin that gets hot by pressing the up-down button activates the relay and sends current across to another pin that is connected to the motor.

If unpotting the back of the circuit board (the back is what gets exposed by removing the potting) and checking for corrosion does not fix the problem (the relays don't function) then you have a much more difficult fix ahead. One that I cannot begin to explain here unless you are ready for a firehose treatment. If you need more info please let me know. If you succeed in fixing the problem then great! You need to repot the circuit board or worse things will happen. I suggest using some acetone to thoroughly clean the board and box. I line the space with very thin plastic sheet then fill the space previously occupied by the potting material with clear epoxy to form a solid lid. After the epoxy hardens I peal off the plastic and have a nicely molded lid for the box. I use RTV to glue this in and seal it from moisture. That way if anything goes wrong, I can see the PCB (like a window) and open it up if necessary.

About VTS issues. I have 4 XP's and have had to rebuild 3 of the VTS units. There are two levels of problems. If the boot on the shaft fails than water gets inside the unit and can damage the small drive motor. However, I have found that the damage is usually limited to rusting of the exterior and soaking the motor in HD paint thinner will get it going again. The worst outcome is failed electronics. This can be repaired but takes time and talent because the electronics are sealed in the box behind the egg shaped motor enclosure. Usually, what happens here is one of the two relays goes bad or becomes disconnected from the circuit board due to water getting under the sealant and corroding the printed circuit board. The relays are controlled by a simple bit of electronics which seldom fails (unless connected incorrectly). From what you describe, clicking in one direction but not the other, suggests that one of the relays is not closing. You can attempt to make the repair by heating the potting material with a heat gun and carefully carving it away. You will see in the middle of the board the 5 pins for each relay poking up through the board. Try cleaning and resoldering the pins. The theory behind the electronics is as follows: There are two relays, one for up and one for down. These relays convey (relatively) high current from the red power wire to the motor. The relays are activated by two low current circuits that responds to the up-down button. When the button is pushed one of the circuits sends current to close its relay and thus send current to the motor. There are about a dozen magnetic switches on the other side of the board that limit the distance the motor can drive the shaft and which respond to the position of the drive shaft. These can fail but probably not your problem.

You can test to make sure power is getting to the relays by using a volt meter. Hook the meter ground to the negative term on your battery. If I recall correctly, one of the pins on each relay is always hot with power coming from the red power lead. You should be able to get a 12v (hot) reading off that pin on both relays. Now have someone hold the up-down button in one position. You should find that a different pin on one of the relays is now hot as it has been powered by the low current circuit. If you move the button to the opposite position then the same pin on the other relay should be hot. The pin that gets hot by pressing the up-down button activates the relay and sends current across to another pin that is connected to the motor.

If unpotting the back of the circuit board (the back is what gets exposed by removing the potting) and checking for corrosion does not fix the problem (the relays don't function) then you have a much more difficult fix ahead. One that I cannot begin to explain here unless you are ready for a firehose treatment. If you need more info please let me know. If you succeed in fixing the problem then great! You need to repot the circuit board or worse things will happen. I suggest using some acetone to thoroughly clean the board and box. I line the space with very thin plastic sheet then fill the space previously occupied by the potting material with clear epoxy to form a solid lid. After the epoxy hardens I peal off the plastic and have a nicely molded lid for the box. I use RTV to glue this in and seal it from moisture. That way if anything goes wrong, I can see the PCB (like a window) and open it up if necessary.
I just bought the whole vts motor and housing the motor works and the guy claims it is good a working I even messaged him about it and he stands by his word. Before I bought the new one my old one was smoking and smelled like burnt wires. I’m not sure if it could have fried some other stuff or not. But I definitely am not going to open it up and look in it because then I wouldn’t be able to return it. Now my question is could it be something in my electrical box? All the fuses are good there is 2 15 amps and a 5 amp. But before i put new fuses in it had a 20 in the 5 amp and a 15 in the one next to the 5 amp and then another 20 in the one that ig is used for the vts and I read that it’s supposed to have a 15 amp in it. Not entirely sure if that’s right but figured I should tell you

I just bought the whole vts motor and housing the motor works and the guy claims it is good a working I even messaged him about it and he stands by his word. Before I bought the new one my old one was smoking and smelled like burnt wires. I’m not sure if it could have fried some other stuff or not. But I definitely am not going to open it up and look in it because then I wouldn’t be able to return it. Now my question is could it be something in my electrical box? All the fuses are good there is 2 15 amps and a 5 amp. But before i put new fuses in it had a 20 in the 5 amp and a 15 in the one next to the 5 amp and then another 20 in the one that ig is used for the vts and I read that it’s supposed to have a 15 amp in it. Not entirely sure if that’s right but figured I should tell you
You need to check the manual for the correct fuses. Do not put a higher amp fuse than what was intended by Seadoo. The VTS circuit has a 7.5 amp fuse. If there is a 15 or 20 amp fuse on the VTS then I'm not surprised you smelled burning wire. Fuses are for your safety and you should not use anything other than what was intended by Seadoo.

You need to check the manual for the correct fuses. Do not put a higher amp fuse than what was intended by Seadoo. The VTS circuit has a 7.5 amp fuse. If there is a 15 or 20 amp fuse on the VTS then I'm not surprised you smelled burning wire. Fuses are for your safety and you should not use anything other than what was intended by Seadoo.
I have a 65 xp from what I’ve been looking at 96 and up have the 7.5

Basically my question is could the reason the vts isn’t working be the black box in my electrical box which I believe is the mpem?

Back