Beeps when flushing engine?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeZeitvogel

So I ran the boat today in the bay and it did fine, and when I go to flush the engine at the house I hook the hose up turn the water on full blast then crank the engine and only run it at idle speed just like the manual says and like clock work it sounds a constant solid warning beep after about 2 or 3 minutes so I get scared and turn the boat engine off, wait about 5 to 10 minutes and crank it again and 2 minutes into the flush it beeps again. It makes flushing for 10 minutes (like the manual says) a timely procedure, plus am I hurting the engine, and is it perhaps not getting enough water, I don't have a clue why it beeps only when I flush, Any ideas?

Sounds like it's overheating. Your hose may not have enough flow to keep it cool.

Also... from your description... it sounds like you are running the water, when the engine isn't running. Make sure the engine is running before turning on the water, or you can fill the engine with water.

Where are you hooking the hose to? 205 Utopia? Is it a Merc engine?

yeah its a merc engine 205 utopia, and it is just a merc outboard turned up right with a jet drive on it. I talked to a local shop that repairs merc outboards and they will work on my boat and they said just like an outboard you want to have the water running before you crank. They said those engines dont like to be ran out of water and just a minute or two is all you need to flush the engine, they said to not worry about that beep its just probably running hot, and to not flush it so long. I myself dont know what to think about that, you know?

OK...

The Merc engines are different from the Rotax. There have been a bunch of reports of the temp sensor on the exhaust goes bad... and it will trip early. Also, it makes the fuel economy get bad.

ok so now your talking my language. I have been an avid reader on this forum since I joined a week before I bought this boat last month. And I have read about the temp sensor going out and it can go out gradually. It will make the engine hard to start when it has warmed up. For instance we were pulling skiers last weekend and we go to pick up the skier and turn the engine off so we don't suck up the ski rope and start the engine back up and it doesn't wanna start. So now I ask Does this sensor also make problems when flushing like it might read wrong while flushing... Good Idea! I have one of those heat sensors in the mail. I ordered it from the mercury parts express website and it will be sent through a local boat dealer Legendary Marine out of Destin Fl. I guess when I get it I will let you know what happens when I flush it. Hopefully it will solve the problems.

OK... cool. Once you get the new one installed... let us know if your temp alarm goes off while flushing.

I don't have a good solid knowledge on the Merc boats... but I'm always willing to learn.

ok so I got the temp sensor put in and I ran it for hours today with multiple stop and re cranks. it did fine but it beeped again about 2 or 3 minutes into the engine flush tonight. I give, I don't know why it is doing that....

In the manual they say that the problem might be possible debris in the jet powerhead. Also, the manual says you have to start the engine first and then turn on the water on full blast.

(From the manual of the Utopia 205 with the Merc 240EFI Engine)

index.php

profile.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I go to flush the engine at the house I hook the hose up turn the water on full blast then crank the engine and only run it at idle speed just like the manual says and like clock work it sounds a constant solid warning beep after about 2 or 3 minutes.... I don't have a clue why it beeps only when I flush, Any ideas?

Hi

I have a 2003 Utopia (240EFI) and I am having the same problem you were having. ie the engine beeps a few minutes into the flush.

Did you ever resolve your issue? If so what was the solution?

sincerely

SG

Since I made the post above... I have bought a Merc powered boat... and I can say with 100% certainty, that your garden hose doesn't have enough pressure.

When I first put my engine back together... it was hot on the hose. (it was a small, recoiling type hose) So... I grabbed the big hose from the front of the house... and the problem was solved.

The problem is... on the sport jets... the flush port is under then engine, where the water inlet is. So... most of the water will go out that port. So... you need enough water pressure to fill the engine, and the "Pick-up" hose. Low flow will go right out the pick-up, and all you will flush is the impeller.

well I tried it with a different hose and it still beeped. Not only that. I launched the boat and idled in the water and it still beaped after about 5 minutes. However as long as it is moving, there is no problem.

Any ideas/

If you are beeping at idle... then you have a plugged up cooling system.

I guess if it was my boat... I would take the hoses off the tops of the heads... and blow though it with compressed air. Then... I would clamp off the bypass hoses, and the hose going to the expansion chamber... and blow into the flush hose port. That way... if there is anything in the pick-up... it will get pushed out.

If it all seems clear... I would get some salt-a-way into the engine, and then flush it out. Since you are in saltwater... the internals may just be corroded.

AND.... I guess if it was real bad... I would pull both heads, and make sure the cooling jackets were open and clean. The head gaskets are rubber O-rings... so they can come off, and be put back on without any gasket replacement.

As a final FYI... my boat, at idle, will put out a nice solid stream from the "Pee-Hole".

wow. Most of that flew right over my head. i will need to get a handle on mercury engines. Lets hold that thought for a second. I came across a thread I see you participating in titled "Best and easiest "tune up" / performance boost for 240EFI engines..."

I am willing to bet the temp sensor has never been change on this boat.

Any chance this could be acting up?

Disconnect the pee hole hose from port side (left) cylinder head. Make sure that hose is clear to the pee hole. Bugs like to build in there. If it stays clogged, it can cost you a piston.

Unless you have a great deal of water flowing from your hose you're not going to see anything from the tell tale when running on the flushing port. However, you could still check the line as Tim suggests.

Unless you have a great deal of water flowing from your hose you're not going to see anything from the tell tale when running on the flushing port. .

Doesnt that mean then, that the cylinder head portion of the system may not get flushed which may add to problems doown the road??

It could... but I find most people dont' have enough water pressure, from their garden hose to properly "Flush" a Merc engine.

When the weather gets better where I live... I'm going to look into relocating the flush hose, into the bypass hose, and that should truly back flush the merc engine. (but that may have other issues) My other thought is to split the flush hose between the 2 locations.

When the weather gets better where I live... I'm going to look into relocating the flush hose, into the bypass hose, and that should truly back flush the merc engine. (but that may have other issues) My other thought is to split the flush hose between the 2 locations.

I suppose you can also add another flush inlet (instead of relocating the existing one) that would connect to the bypass hose before it reaches the pee hole. Then all you would have to do is plug the pee hole and water would be forced back into the cylinder head. T

It could... but I find most people dont' have enough water pressure, from their garden hose to properly "Flush" a Merc engine.

Dr. Honda

what "other issues" were you thinking about with backflushing through the bypass hose? I am still having intermittent overheating issues during idle (even after blowing out the system with compressed air)

I was think about trying a Salt Away back flush through the bypass hose. Nothing permanent just to try to recify my issue.

sincerely

SG

There shoudln't be any real "Issues" with back flushing from the bypass hoses.... but:

1) If you are dealing with minimum water flow from the hose... you may not have enough water going into the exhaust to keep the hoses from melting.

2) There is a small cover on the starboard side of the engine with a valve in it. I'm not 100% sure how it works, so I'm not sure if it will keep the water from flowing back in.

I can look at the flow diagram in the book all I want... but until I unwrap my boat, and physically get a good look at everything... I can't give any real advice on it.

With that said... if you are getting hot at idle... you may want to open the cover on that valve... and see what it looks like. If it rotten inside... it could be blocking the flow.

There shoudln't be any real "Issues" with back flushing from the bypass hoses.... but:

Dr. I think I will put this idea on the back shelf until you have a chance to look at this and confirm your suspicions. I am pretty handy and good at following instructions but I am not always the most intuitive. :cool:

Keep us posted. Thanks

SG

Could the thermostats be the culprit to the overheating issue. Many outboard manufactures replacing them every couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back