Stalls when hot

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Daz-ace

Hi all. My 2003 180 challenger 240efi, starts fine and runs good.
When I power up it goes well. But after about 10 to 15 minutes it just dies. Then won't start again for about 10. Minutes, then it will fire up again and then stall on me when I power up. Amy ideas please?

Since the issue is repeatable, should be able to troubleshoot. First thought... ensure you are not overheating the engine. The external tell-tale (pisser) out the back flowing normally when running? When the engine dies... put an in-line spark tester on some plugs and see if you still have spark. I would suspect you don't... that it's an ignition issue (not fuel). The trigger assembly (under flywheel) might be flaking out when hot. Or you could have some coils flaking when hot. If you determine no-spark... then you have a direction. If you are not loosing spark, then it's possible to be fuel pressure. When engine dies, check your fuel pressure. Still got ~35psi? Pump still priming when attempting to restart afterwards? Good luck.

Hi all. My 2003 180 challenger 240efi, starts fine and runs good.
When I power up it goes well. But after about 10 to 15 minutes it just dies. Then won't start again for about 10. Minutes, then it will fire up again and then stall on me when I power up. Amy ideas please?
Are you having a lot of smoke while running? Any change in smoke level before it dies?

No Tim , no smoke at all that I would call excessive
It still sounds like your tps is flooding the engine. Typical that it will restart in minutes to an hour.
The failing tps makes the ecm go to full rich on the injectors to prevent lean run damage.
Many threads on checking tps.

So maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, thinking it's related to some kind of electrical component breaking down due to heat. Your theory does fit with my symptoms. So when it happened, their were 2 of us on the boat. So I took off the engine cover, and manually opened the butterfly, and yes it did try to fire up while I was cranking. So does the tps need changing or adjustment?

So maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, thinking it's related to some kind of electrical component breaking down due to heat. Your theory does fit with my symptoms. So when it happened, their were 2 of us on the boat. So I took off the engine cover, and manually opened the butterfly, and yes it did try to fire up while I was cranking. So does the tps need changing or adjustment?
At least should be tested.
Very expensive part.

Back