Bad noise coming from the wear ring.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zigzab.

Hello everyone,

I just got a new to me 2005 Seadoo speedster. It has twin 185 hp engines. I started both engines up and they sounded great. I then checked the torque on both pumps. They were each a little under what the manual specified. After the re-torqued the port engine started to make a bad rubbing/screeching sound. The port engine has an upgraded solas impeller, not installed by me. Any advice? Thanks!

They tend to make that noise if its run out of water.
I always wet the impeller before starting out of water

Hello everyone,

I just got a new to me 2005 Seadoo speedster. It has twin 185 hp engines. I started both engines up and they sounded great. I then checked the torque on both pumps. They were each a little under what the manual specified. After the re-torqued the port engine started to make a bad rubbing/screeching sound. The port engine has an upgraded solas impeller, not installed by me. Any advice? Thanks!

If I read that right, only the port engine has the upgraded impeller? If so, I would be concerned by the mismatched impellers and possible issues this may cause. As mtitus said, they do make some noise running out of the water and this can be magnified if the wear ring is new and tightly fits the impeller. If is new I would but a little lube on it or not run it out of the water too much as the heat the friction causes between the impeller and wear ring can cause issues sometimes.

I apologize if I was unclear, both side have the upgraded impellers. The port side engine suddenly started making a scratching sound, after re-torquing the four main pump nuts. The sound has an unpleasant tone and is too loud to speak normally over. I crawled under the boat and looked into the intake grate. Here is a photo of the wearing and impeller.

Attachments

• 20140902_155916-1.jpg
    20140902_155916-1.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 40
Both the wear ring and impeller look fine from the photograph. It looks very tight. I would say that by re-torqueing all you have done and move the wear ring in a bit to a part of the ring that hasn't been worn by the impeller. I would suggest just putting a little lube on the ring so it doesn't bind the impeller, take you boat down to the lake, river, ocean or what ever body of water you float it on and give it a good work out. By the time you return home I would suggest the noise will have gone as the ring and impeller mate together.

This sort of thing is generally normal for new wear ring and by moving the pump, all you have done is move a non-worn part of the wear ring into contact with the impeller. I don't see any issues from the picture you have attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back