Audio Help Here

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

korn82787

Hey, I am kind-of new to the forum. I have lurked for quite a while. If anyone needs audio help, post in here and I will be more than happy to help you all out. I have done numerous installs on both cars and boats. Reading through some of the posts, I have seen some good advice and some advice that makes me cringe. I do have my Master Installer Certification.(MECP)

Let me know if I can be of any help. Boats are fun to install because your options are really limitless. :thumbsup:

Currently I am planning a monster stereo install in my 97 Challenger. As soon as I decide on what I want and where I am putting it all, I will post pics and a walkthrough.

Thank you for the Offer on advice!
Im about to get ready to install on my 2000 speedster a Sony CDX-HS70MW head unit.
I liked this one because of the Ipod connection and the auxiliar input option. But I had only planned on putting 2 6 1/2 Polk db651 speakers to replace the ones that came with the boat when I bought it. My question is the following: Am I way undergoing this system??? I see everyone installing at least 4 speakers, and some even going with subs and amps.. etc..
After reading on everyones posts, that seems the direction that most go for. Will my setup not be enough or even worth doing with only 2 speakers? Shall I get at least 2 more installed while im at it? and should i consider running them with an amp. After looking at the specs of those db651s, I wonder if that head unit can even give them the juice they need to sound good without an amp.
Any advice would help,
Thanks!

Im about to get ready to install on my 2000 speedster a Sony CDX-HS70MW head unit.
I liked this one because of the Ipod connection and the auxiliar input option. But I had only planned on putting 2 6 1/2 Polk db651 speakers to replace the ones that came with the boat when I bought it. My question is the following: Am I way undergoing this system??? I see everyone installing at least 4 speakers, and some even going with subs and amps.. etc..
After reading on everyones posts, that seems the direction that most go for. Will my setup not be enough or even worth doing with only 2 speakers? Shall I get at least 2 more installed while im at it? and should i consider running them with an amp. After looking at the specs of those db651s, I wonder if that head unit can even give them the juice they need to sound good without an amp.
Any advice would help,
Thanks!

One thing to always remember is you can add to a stereo. When I bought my challenger, it came with two speakers. They are fairly loud but of course when you crank them up, you start to get some distortion.

My recommendation would be to install 4 speakers as all aftermarket head units have front and rear outputs. As far as amplifying speakers, you should not need to. If you get the speakers in and they sound muddy or distorted, you can always add an amp and crossovers if necessary. Most speakers now come as a 2-way and there are even 4-way speakers. These have a crossover built into the speakers.

Before I get too crazy you need to understand that a crossover simply blocks certain frequencies coming from the head unit to the speakers (basically separating your audio signal to Lows, Mids, and Highs. The only time I would really use a crossover would be if I were installing 1-way speakers. You would use a 1-way 6 1/2" Mid driver (2-4 of them) and install Tweeters as well as a Subwoofer(or two). Of course using this setup would require amplifiers and the end result would be nice crisp sound.

When you get into audio, there are quite a few factors that can affect the quality of sound. The main reason you get audio that sounds like crap is because the sound waves contaminate each other. This is when you get noise cancellation. Either way, I'm sure you did not want a lecture on sound waves and the science behind them.

The Polk speakers are rated at 55 watts whereas your head unit is rated at 52 watts. There should be no problems as far as that goes. You should not need an amp. The main reason everyone adds speakers is because once you get underway, it gets tough to hear the your music over the engine. More speakers = more sound. You can always start with just the pair and add more later.

In conclusion, it is ultimately your decision as far as quantity. 2 Speakers are good, 4 are better. Separate speakers for different frequencies are best. Start with your original plan. If that isn't enough add to it. :cheers: :thumbsup:

Thank you Korn! Helps a lot. I will like you say try the 2 and turn it on too see how it sounds, and if I need to go more I always can afterwards.I'm guessing I will want to., ill try and see if I can get that started tonight.

ptysppedster

Any advice would help,
Thanks!

yes freind .. very good choice for the sony cdx ... get better sound for 4 speakers with high quality loud sound .. without amp/ deside the wide range features of this unit .

also the db651 good quality sound .. but they arn't waterproof speakers , dont try
you must find others waterproof speaker for long life and protect your head system
from any short in the speaker

if you attend to use subwoofer or more than 4 speakers you need amp.

good luck

yas

Just make sure to always stick with stuff you can add to or upgrade. Once you start you will always want more. It is very addicting. I am happy with the way mine sounds but yet i keep wanting to change it up...just because I can.

yes freind .. very good choice for the sony cdx ... get better sound for 4 speakers with high quality loud sound .. without amp/ deside the wide range features of this unit .

also the db651 good quality sound .. but they arn't waterproof speakers , dont try
you must find others waterproof speaker for long life and protect your head system
from any short in the speaker

if you attend to use subwoofer or more than 4 speakers you need amp.

good luck

yas

Not only are all polk db series speakers very good quality, ALL are marine certified.

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/db/index.php?s=db651

Had all POLK DB's for less than two weeks. Pulled them out and went with Clarion marine. The POLK DB's had fallen apart in those two weeks. Keep in mind that Marine certified is not as good as something designed and built just for marine use. The POLK's sounded good but I would go Clarion Marine.

I agree, I dont really push any specific manufacturer. Its like everything else, get what you like and can afford. I only use stuff made for marine applications. I currently have all Kicker stuff but have my eyes on switching to all Polk Ultra Marine series components. Just gotta decide if I wanna drop that much money.

I agree with that completely RF. I do not push brands, I just try to buy the best for my price point. I have 7" Clarion Speakers x 4 and a Clarion marine 8" subwoofer mounted into the console. It is all hooked up to an MB QUART Nautic 6 Channel amp. Runs about 65 watts per speakers and about 110 bridged to the sub. I am the loudest thing on the sandbar...... I ordered most of the stuff through Bestbuy.com because I happened to find the amp for $200 on clearance in the middle of the night and the next day it was back up $449! Speakers were fair at $99 per pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back