API-TC oil alternative (Imperial oil)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_camel

Hello all,
I know oil is a big debatable subject and has been talked about many times, but I looked through the search function and didn't find anything regarding Esso (Imperial Oil) Easymix 2-cycle oil.
The data sheet is available here: http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENPVLESEasymix_2_cycle.pdf
It looks perfectly suitable for our 2-stroke motors and a great alternative to BRP's oil.
I just got my challenger and there's TC-W3 oil in it which I am trying to replace with a API-TC oil, despite the previous owner saying he never had problems with it...
Care to plug your input on that matter?
THanks!:cheers:

It's a synthetic blend so it would work for non-rave engines, it has the correct certifications. However your engine is a 787 and it requires full synthetic. And yes you definitely need to use an API-TC oil. Be sure to drain the oil tank, change the oil filter, bleed the lines.

Lou

Looks like it meets the specs fine to me...The problem is that i think your 97 challenger has a 787 motor in it, doesn't it? If so, that requires a full synthetic for the RAVE valves. This oil states it is a blend.

none of those oils are perfect for you... but the snowmobile would be the closest. The only issue would be dirty/sticking RAVE's.

As far as the "oil debate"... there isn't one. TC-w3 oils are not designed to support the RPM's, and HP our engines make. If you use it... it's not an instant death, as long as you aren't holding the throttle wide open. On a healthy Rotax... you may get a season or two out of it before it gives up. BUT... if you use the proper oil, those engines will live a very long time.

This is the same as if you said you were going to put fry oil in your car's engine. It would probably run... but not for long, since it's not the oil meant for the engine.

If the only issue with that easymix/snowmobile oil is sticky rave valves, wouldn`t a twice-a-year rave valve cleanup do the job?
Finding an API-TC oil is hard here, since all autoparts carry TC-W3.

If the only issue with that easymix/snowmobile oil is sticky rave valves, wouldn`t a twice-a-year rave valve cleanup do the job?
Finding an API-TC oil is hard here, since all autoparts carry TC-W3.

Don't know until you try it. Rotax's fix (back in the day) was to go to a full synth oil. It made less goo when it passed threw the engine. A newer synth mix may not be too bad.

As far as "It's hard to find up here"... it's hard to find anywhere. 95% of the time, a store like Wal-mart, or autoparts store only has the most popular oils. (That's TC-w3) Normally you need to go to a Farm store, or a powersports store.

I'm near Pittsburgh PA (a large city) and the only oil I can get is XPS locally. (At a seadoo dealer) But fortunately for me.. they sell it at a reasonable price.

you don't have to use a synthetic oil, in the 787 you can get away with the mineral oil you just have to clean the rave valves once a year which you should do anyways, mineral oil is cheaper and easier to find, i use the xps mineral oil and have no issues both in the sled and also in the boat just use a quality oil.

Just ask Dr. Honda for his opinion. He was/is an "oil chemist".

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back