anyone fix a VTS gauge postion sensor?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

soccerdad

The position sensor part of my VTS system is dead. I put a meter on the wires and it is showing a short. I know the "trim fix" kit will fix this, but was looking for a home fix if any. Looks like it works just like the fuel tank sensor, but all the stuff if potted in.

when running the VTS all the way up or down, can you tell if it mechanically binds to stop, or does it shut off?
easy way to check is run it down all the way. Once down, if you click the switch down again, there should be no clicks from the VTS housing. completely silent. Then run it all the way up & see if the same thing happens. It should stop, then no clicks if you try to go up further.

The reason for this test is to see if the internal reed switches are functioning for the motor limits. If they are not working, there's a chance your VTS might be ok, & you might have lost the magnet on the slide assembly. The early ones were not sealed & can rust overtime & literally disappear. However, the brown/white & brown/black I don't believe should ever show a dead short. Something like 25 - 175 ohms. depending on position.

Typically when that goes, the rest of the unit isnt far behind. I would say just run it till it dies and buy a nice used one once it does go.

Check the magnet on slide assembly!!! I replaced an entire vts because the same prob you describe and it was just the magnet. DONT buy the Trimfix guage fix kit. It's junk. It will work but if you trim ALL the way it blows the fuse cause no limit switches in it. I bought the guage fix that's how I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The Gauge Fix" can be bought separately from "The Trim Fix". It comes with a magnet to glue to the worm gear on the inside and a sensor that you stick on the outside of the housing. It works great

That is great information. I just tested it some more. It is not shorted, but does not change when I move the rod in and out. Looks like the travel limit switches are hosed as well. I have it locked in place for now. I will look into the options in the future I guess. To set the angle manually, I am going off of what my GTX is at. Not sure what else to do. When I am in the water, I know I want the nose up a little. How do I tell if it is too high or too low?

That is great information. I just tested it some more. It is not shorted, but does not change when I move the rod in and out. Looks like the travel limit switches are hosed as well. I have it locked in place for now. I will look into the options in the future I guess. To set the angle manually, I am going off of what my GTX is at. Not sure what else to do. When I am in the water, I know I want the nose up a little. How do I tell if it is too high or too low?

Did you inspect the magnet? Its on the top of the slide (looking as it as its installed) I don't remember what year the went to the epoxied style. Post a picture if you can.

1.jpg
yep. I think that rusty dot used to be a magnet. Anything they should be replaced with? I think I have some small ceramic ones that I could epoxy one on there. Good call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fixed one using one of the old magnets from a fuel float. They are a little touchy, takes a little trial & error. Too strong of a magnet, or in the wrong position & it will shut the trim travel off too soon, to weak & it won't shut it off at all. I found some small neo magnets at my local hardware store. they were slightly larger & way too strong. I think I remember reading that somebody on this site used a pair of magnets from a pair of magnetic earrings. Not positive on that though.

Experiment with some small magnets you might have around the house to see if the housing appears good yet. you should be able to see if the gauge will move by just sliding one in the housing. I used a small magnetic parts retriever I had in my tool box. if you don't want to plug it back in, just put an ohmmeter on the brown wires & see if it will change resistance values

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips. I had a small ceramic disk magnet that I ground down to the correct size, then temporarily hot glued to the stem. Then I slid it in and out and the gauge sensors work great and both end stop switches work! I may have to work on the size to get it correct. I think I am a little long now. I already know the motor relays work. So with a nice new motor, I should be back in business. Paging Minnetonka....

Thanks for the tips. I had a small ceramic disk magnet that I ground down to the correct size, then temporarily hot glued to the stem. Then I slid it in and out and the gauge sensors work great and both end stop switches work! I may have to work on the size to get it correct. I think I am a little long now. I already know the motor relays work. So with a nice new motor, I should be back in business. Paging Minnetonka....

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the tips. I had a small ceramic disk magnet that I ground down to the correct size, then temporarily hot glued to the stem. Then I slid it in and out and the gauge sensors work great and both end stop switches work! I may have to work on the size to get it correct. I think I am a little long now. I already know the motor relays work. So with a nice new motor, I should be back in business. Paging [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION]

Fixed your page :) [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION]

Absolutely. Except that I was dumb enough to forget it until ragtop said it again. Thanks for all the help. YOU WERE RIGHT!

Hello!

Guys, My VTS is working (SEADOO XP 1995) but it is "overtraveling" UP and DOWN;.... maybe would be the magnets?
it Should have just one magnet as the picture you guys sent above?
If yes, I will use one from the fuel float, should works?

THANKS!

Does you gauge work? If so, the magnet is fine. Then the problem is in the sensor. There are reed switches in there that likely are dead. Google seadoo vts fix and you should find a couple of really good troubleshooting documents. It will tell you what ohm readings you should get in each position.

Hi Folks,

Fixed It!
It was the magnetic on this part:

image.jpeg

For my surprise: The gauge is now working too!!
All the system working fine!!

Thanks!

I am working on a similar problem on my 97 GSX. The gauge works. The trim goes down just fine, and stops automatically. Raising the trim back up, it stops just a little bit past halfway. There is no sign of strain on the motor--it just stops.
If the trim is fully down and you press the down button on the handlebar, there are no sounds from the VTS unit. If the trim is at its new stopping point halfway up, same deal--no click or noise from the VTS.
I then disconnected the motor and it runs smoothly forward and backward. The magnet on my slide is set in epoxy and is intact and fine. There has never been water in the VTS housing.
Next I checked the resistance between the purple and black leads. At all points between fully up and fully down, the resistance is just under 10k. At fully down, the resistance drops to 670. At fully up, no change--as though the sensor isn't picking up the magnet on the slide. However, with the motor removed if I use my finger to lift the forward end of the slide toward where the sensors are at the top of the VTS housing, suddenly the resistance drops to 670.
So what it appears to me is that one of the magnets has gotten tired and isn't working properly anymore. However, that should make it overtravel when commanded to go up. Instead it stops halfway.
How do I repair this so it works again (including the gauge)?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back