Anyone ever tow your jet ski behind a travel trailer?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosnowman

Most folks think I am crazy, but am wondering if it is possible and safe to essentially double tow behind my Ford Expy?

Attach/ weld a hitch to the travel trailer and hitch the ski to it? Driving two vehicles sucks....

Crazy?

An Exploder? No.

If you have a 2500 or larger truck... a CDL, and the first trailer is a 5th wheel... yes. (but not in all states) But you still can't exceed the combined weight of the truck.

Oh... and the first trailer must be equipped with brakes.

Happen to know of a guy, who was a retired trucker and did this regularly. As I remember, He drove an H/D Dodge or Ford something duelly with a LARGE travel trailer, and then a large (but light) pontoon boat. He was a "snow-bird" and went from Ohio to Fort Meyers, Fla every year! He did crash once, but it had nothing to do with him or the rig. I think somebody just pulled in front of him.

I thought it sounded crazy, but it's being done.

AC

In TN you can pull a double trailer. I don't believe you have to have a CDL, that should be depend on the weight of the towing vehicle, or combined weight of the vehicle and tow. The expedition is another matter entirely. Which engine, what is its maximum tow rating, and how much is all this going to weigh together. "travel trailer" is a very broad description, if it is lightweight pop-up camper, it may be possible, but then again so is communism... I would however, not recommend it. If your family has a gas sipping v6 sedan, u-haul offers trailer hitch installations and hitch rentals.

A gentlemen my hubby know does this. He has a large truck with a 5th wheel camper and then a hitch welded to the back of his camper that pulls a double pwc trailer. I have seen it, it is very long....the camper is like a 32 footer. Not sure how he maneuvers through most campgrounds but apparently he gets it done. We are in Texas.

I actually checked this idea out for Idaho. Presuming you have the proper tow vehicle (brakes, capacities and all), the total length cannot exceed 75 feet. I decided to just tow one at a time for safety sake! Good luck.

You don't have to have a CDL to tow ur own stuff. Only when ur making money or for a besiness. Just check with state laws on how long u can tow. I see campers and boat setups all the time at lakes.

I had never done it, but had seens lots of videos on youtube of russian guy's doing such crazy things and surfing on the side of the road when snowfall occurs and that too on national highway itself

I haven't till so far, but am curious to look at other's post and love to know experiences that other people had in their life

Most folks think I am crazy, but am wondering if it is possible and safe to essentially double tow behind my Ford Expy?

Attach/ weld a hitch to the travel trailer and hitch the ski to it? Driving two vehicles sucks....

Crazy?
( i'm replying to this before even reading any replies.... and people thought I was crazy!!! you gotta admit.. this one is even better..LOL)

hey guy... trust the people here to give you, what i found, the best and most honest advice/replies to your questions or concerns. but be ready... for issues that can put people in potentially harmful situations-aka- ACCIDENTS... those who reply may come down on, or at you, reasonably hard and justifiably so.... it could be them or their family that winds up being a victim of anothers NOT TOO SMART ideas... i for one, have nothing but thanks to them. you would be wise to heed what they say.... they really know their stuff. hope that helps

Ugh, I need a beer for this....

i KNOW what you mean.... i am still reeling from my bad-question-bad-idea experience.... gosh.. i was talking about... oh forget.. dont even want to bring it back up..LOL.... it hurts too much to even think about it!

It really doesn't serve any purpose to dredge up old threads, especially when you have no significant information to add. This was a question asked and answered July of last year.

Lou

It really doesn't serve any purpose to dredge up old threads, especially when you have no significant information to add. This was a question asked and answered July of last year.

Lou

oh geez.... ya know.. i NEVER looked at the date! i just took it for granted it was recent... ooooops :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back