Another Trailer Lighting Conundrum

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Explorgm

I am temporarily using magnetic trailer lights on our recently purchased zieman double jet ski trailer. The lights work perfectly with our 1999 F150 when hooked up with 4 pin into a round 7 blade adaptor and then into the round 7 blade hookup on the truck. They don't work at all when hooked up directly to our 2008 Jeep Rubicon using only the 4 pin connectors.

What is weird is that our trailer for our 1975 Chrysler Conqueror works perfectly with the Jeep using only the 4 pin connectors. Our previously owned 1976 sailboat trailer worked with both the Jeep and the F150 also using a round connector for the F150 or with a 4 pin adaptor for the Jeep.

It does not seem to be a ground or continuity issue with the Jeep as the 1975 trailer works when connected without the trailer ball touching the Jeep hitch at all! Just the wiring connected with no extra ground wires. (The magnetic lights are not supposed to need a separate ground regardless) The magnetic lights should work with the jeep whether there is a trailer involved or not but no go either way. I've tried mounting them on the Jeeps back aftermarket bumper, which is metal, and other metal surfaces, but from what I've read they don't ground through the magnet anyway... With the F150 I can set them on the ground or hold them in my hands and they still work when connected.

So 3 sets of lights work with the F150 but only the two older ones work with the Jeep... Brand new magnetic lights work with the pickup only...
Trailer setups:
1976 trailer used 7 blade (had brakes) works with both vehicles (plus adaptor when needed)
1974 uses 4 pin works with both vehicles (plus adaptor when needed)
Zieman PWC trailer with magnetic lights and 4 pin (works with 7 blade adaptor for truck) does not work with 4 pin to 4 pin connection on jeep...
We also had a small trailer that we used with a 14' inflatable that worked with the Jeep previously. Same 4 pin connector which was not mentioned above as I just remembered it...

Eventually I'll install regular lights on the ski trailer but was trying to save some dough and just get the skis in the water for now with just the magnetic lights. $39 at Harbor Freight! One of the trailer's built in lights was smashed before I bought it and I have been trying to find a set that matches dimentions and mounting, but no luck locally yet. It came with a set of old magnetic lights that needed re-wiring...

I have not been able to find another case of mag lights not being compatible with a Jeep on the internet? There was one case similar to mine, but with regular incandescent trailer lights. but no solution was found.

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back