Anybody else see this today?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

scooper77515

freebie fixer
Premium Member
Me, at Ellington Airforce base.

It flew over my work several times, did turn arounds, then flew over various houston monuments and landmarks, and I missed them all. So I snuck off work early to see it on the ground.

I could have gotten closer, with the rest of the crowd, but to get to it, I had to park 2 miles away on the shoulder of a highway, run a mile down a railroad track, hike another mile across a field to get to this gate, the take pics, and return the opposite way. I was too tired to stand in line and get up close 100' from the bird.

Attachments

• shuttle1.jpg
    shuttle1.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 31
  • shuttle2.jpg
    shuttle2.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 37
Yep I saw it, on TV. It's going to a museum in Cali, it's final resting spot. That is some really cool stuff, thanks for posting the pics!

Houston is pretty upset that we are not getting it. We have a space "museum" at Johnson Space Center, with several other rockets sitting out front, but when it comes right down to it, we won't put any money up to obtain it. Someone in California WILL, so they get it.

Fair is fair.

I have seen it several times. Provided water borne security for a few launches and flew over it when it was on the back of the 747 that it rides on.

It is amazizing to see it fly on the 747. It is a lot of metal to be riding piggy back.

Because California was essential to the space program and all, along with new york.

Wellll........... It was.

Originally... they were going to launch from Vandenberg AFB... but the physicists said.... "Move it down to Florida, and get a free 1000 mph launch velocity." (closer to the equator, gives a larger "r" value on the earths rotation, and a higher true speed, so you burn less fuel getting to escape velocity @ 17K mph)

Not to mention... all the aerospace work was being done in SoCal (Boeing, Rockwell, Northrup, Martian, JPL) Heck... all the big boys are out there... and they landed the shuttles at El Mirage just outside of LA.

very cool. My brother (other brother not Lou), works at Edwards AFB and got to see it up close and personal several times. They even had family day a few years back and he got to take the wife and kids to see it.

Great pics :thumbsup: I visited Kennedy Space center in FL a few years ago. Very inspiring to check these things out. Its kinda sad they shut down the shuttle program.

Back