a few questions on my 95 xp

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pointhunter75

Well I thought I fixed my starter after it stranded me last weekend but it did it again today. I was trying to tap the positive post on the starter and when I touched the wrench to the inside post nut and starter body at the same time while pressing start it finally turned over. What would cause this? I tightened the inner nut nice and snug other day and thought it fixed it but apparently not. I probably started it ten times today before it did it again. It's not the solenoid, that has been checked and Im getting full voltage at the starter, but only a click at the solenoid. Should I get an OEM starter or what? My brother has bought several car, jetski, and four Wheeler starters from one eBay seller for years and has never had a single one go bad. Can't remember the name though. D and b electric or something like that. Where do you get OEM and how much? Or does my issue sound fixable with a rebuild? Seems I have a bad connection in that starter post. It cranked fine the rest of the day. Also, is there a legal length maximum on the Layard? I pull mine off constantly while playing. I'm wanting to add about a foot of length to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many guys buy rebuild kits for their starters off ebay, but still use the OEM starter. The china starters will usually snap the bendix shaft.

On the hot stud, You have to be super careful not to twist the post or it could snap the internal connection for the brush. I also remember recently seeing a members starter guts and then connection from the hot stud to brush was broken. I think it was on an almost new china starter. Worth an investigation at the least.

Many kits out there, I would only replace the brushes and brush holder and o-rings if needed. The cheap bearings they give with it, I would only use if I was in a pinch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denso-Start...800-/181432280687?hash=item2a3e34e66f&vxp=mtr

To post pics from Photobucket:

1. Upload to Photobucket

2. View the album so you can see all your photos.

3. Hover your cursor over a pic and you'll see a three lines in the lower left, hover over that.

4. Click on "share links"

5.Single click the last one marked IMG Codes. It will automatically copy the link to your clipboard.

6. Open the reply field on Seadoo forums.

7. Right click in the "body" of your reply and select "paste"--you IMG code will now be in the body.

8. Click on go advance or preview in the lower right of the body pane to preview your post.

9. Smile and enjoy your new post with pics!

Now you can also do it the dirty way--like how I embed random pics form the internet. If using Internet explorer right click on a random picture and select "Copy Shortcut" then follow from step 7. BUT>>>>> you need tyo add the IMG tags. So, at the beginning of the link you need to put Paste link here[/XXX] <replace the XXX with IMG. If I do it it will think I'm trying to post a pic to you.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Yeah I was thinking my brother had never changed this one but he had. Says made in Japan. It has been on there since the late 90s so it has been a good one. I just now went ahead and ordered a new starter with two year warranty.

What did you order? Even if it has a 10 yr warranty it does not make it any good. It just means they are willing to replace it if you are willing to pull it, send it to them, wait for it to get there, let them look at it, send one back, then you reinstall it.

Seadoos LOVE their OEM starters and they HATE most other starters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you bought a DB electric starter it will strand you on the water again

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

Hmmm that's what my brother has had so much luck with Adam. I just can't pay $250 for an OEM right now. My brother will just have to tow me if it breaks and I'll throw the throw the old one back on meantime.

There are a few things that Seadoos really like to have as an OEM item. Starters, Solenoids and in most cases the MPEMs.

If you are getting FULL voltage through the solenoid (have your ground lead on the engine, not the battery), then the issue is either the wire feeding the starter, a connections on the same wire, or the starter...

Hmmm that's what my brother has had so much luck with Adam. I just can't pay $250 for an OEM right now. My brother will just have to tow me if it breaks and I'll throw the throw the old one back on meantime.

I bought a used OEM starter on ebay for $29 bucks free shipping and then a brand new brush kit for $20 and it will be WAY better than any new aftermarket starter out there. It kicks like a mule

What is a goki starter? It says made in Japan

Goki was a great aftermarket starter, when I got into seadoo's back in the 90's. They were in the $300 range too. But I'm sure any one that is around now that is marketed as a Goki is probably trash. The reason I asked was the brush holder is way weird on your starter.

Oh, maybe it's worth rebuilding then. My brother said that starter was bought local because he had no internet then, so it's old.

The bitch is, where do you get parts? The brush holder is completely different from OEM. All the posts available are just like OEM. You'll need to find an old school electric motor rebuilder local to see if he can chase down parts. I think Goki used to cast their name in the housings, but I could be wrong. That's going back 20 years. Again, this is all an assumption that it's a Goki.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

I know SBT takes a bashing on their starters but I installed one over the winter with my rebuilt engine and so far no issues. I have a tiny tach installed which also shows the number of starts and to date I have over 250 starts on the SBT starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back