99 XP need help getting carbs off

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lkjr

From reading another thread I learned that you do not need to remove the exhaust pipe. How do you get the plastic air filter box out of your way. I can't even get my hands or a mirror down there to see the bottom of the carbs. Having big hands doesn't help.

I have a 96 XP. But i dont have to take the exhaust off either. I dont know if your motor looks the same. But my cover just have clips that come off. then unbolt the spark arrestor cover, pull the sa off, and there is more bolts under that, and the plate should come off, and you can see your carbs. That is how mine comes off not sure about yours. but the cover just have to wiggle it out of the way.

reach at top left of pipe, you'll feel a metal latch. Pull it back, and that will releasethe airbox assy from carbs. Then, remove the airductings, last, snorkel out the remaining airbox

I have released the clip and the snorkel scoops but I can't seem to get it out of the compartment, it either hits the hull or the exhaust. I have it separated from the carb but I can't fit anything or see anything with it in my way.

Air box

I have had the unfortunate problem of taking the carbs off about 10 times due to some inept troubleshooting. This although helps make me an expert in removal. I have a 1999 GSX Limited. 951 motor. First unclip the air box clip on top. Take the retaining straps off the battery and remove it or move it as far back as possible. Push the box away from the carbs and slide it toward the rear to get it off the guide holding it on the bottom. Now move it toward the rear of the craft with a clockwise motion and it will come out fairly easy with the right rotation and the battery out of the way.
Carbs come off fairly easy with the box off. A combination of a 6mm allen wrench, an allen socket, and I have found that putting the allen wrench in the long way and turning it with a small cresent wrench works well in removal and tightening. Good luck and when you get a feel for where the bolts are its not too bad!

Thanks, I have a GSX as well and that will be next. The XP is a front mounted engine with less room, figured I would start on the hard one first.

The oil reservoir needs to be out of the way. Don't disconnect the oil lines, just remove the straps and the Styrofoam that it sits on and set them aside.

The bottom of the airbox is connected to part of the starter bracket so the airbox must be moved toward the stern to loosen that connection. You may have already done that. From there just turn it slightly and lift it out through the space where the oil reservoir was. It does not come out cleanly and will rub against the hull as you pull it out.

Do you have a shop manual? It's explained in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back