99 gsx rfi

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishermen03

i took my ski out this weekend, just put a new rectifier, soliniod, and battery. i checked the carbs everything looked great. had it hooked up to hose before and after i took it out and it started right up and ran great. when i put it in the water it had trouble starting, then when it did start it would not accl. it wouldnt get past 10mph. what could be the problem, do i need new plugs? any help would be nice. thanks for your input.

Im not sure if it could be the same problem i had before. If the engine sounds like its running good but does not have no go speed.. You might wanna check your wear ring. Or your impeller to make sure its not worn out. Once i changed my wear ring , My jet ski ran great.

The trouble starting could be low compression. Do you know how to do a compression check? If not, let us know and we'll give you some pointers. The compression should ideally be at 150psi each cylinder. The wear ring is the ring insert around the impeller that keeps it from damaging the impeller pump. If it has a large space around the impeller or has large or deep gouges in it than it might need replacing. Look in the nozzle of the pump to inspect the clearance. If it revs up when it is running but doesn't have any get up and go than chances are it is the problem. You can replace it yourself with a little mechanical ability and save yourself some money on the labor. Let us know and we'll point you in the right direction to replace the wear ring too. Check the compression and the wear ring and report back.

Karl

Instructions....

Fisherman, start at pages 09-02-1 in your 1999 GSX RFI manual and there you can read up on the entire inspection, repair and replacement of the impeller, bearings, oil housing and wearing ring.
Everything you need to know is there. If your un-familar with this procedure, don't worry. It's a snap. You can do it with us and the manual. Do the measurement test on your wearing ring first, so your not pulling something for nothing, when you may have another problem, like bad splines on your shaft.
Re-post, let us know what you find out!............:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back