98 XPL engine went bye bye... Best parts to rebuild with?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ditch64

Well, I was out riding around yesterday on my recently purchased 1998 XP Limited (got a good deal on it), aaaand on my way home from aquapalooza, the engine stalled, and upon trying to restart, I could hear there was no compression (not surprised because I knew the engine wasn't in the best shape). I haven't dug into it yet, but lets assume the crank and pistons are bad. What are the best parts to rebuild/build this engine with? I can do all the labor myself (excluding machining obviously), so I'm looking to maybe rebuild it so it'll have a little extra power, or just last forever.

I'm kind of looking at this.
http://www.rossiereng.com/product/rotax-951-stage-1-kit/ Good idea or bad idea?

Thanks!
Robert

Side note: I already have rebuilt my 2000 RX engine, I used all SBT parts, it runs fine, but now that I've been reading up on this forum, I have heard bad things about the SBT pistons.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you've had good luck with SBT before, I see no reason not to use them again. I've used 2 of their 717 engines and have had no problems.

I couldn't tell you what might happen with these performance parts, are you planning to burn av-gas and/or nitrous? I'm thinking if you want more power than stock, perhaps another more powerful ski is the way to go, as opposed to furhter tweeking the already tweeked 951

Last edited by a moderator:
if you want to go fast, you might find this an interesting read...since you were looking at a stage 1 kit i thought its up your alley.
google "Ben's Secret Mods for Seadoo 951"

i'll let other's chime in on their favorite suppliers.

Thanks guys, I'm going to be pulling it apart this week, I shall report what I find, not that it'll be terribly interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back