Working Late in the Summa-time RFI Engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Somebody.... put gasoline in the oil tank on this RFI engine and it got hungry.... decided to eat the brass gear on the rotary valve. I got fired up on this pile of parts about 6:30pm. I guess it's the temperature but I enjoy working into the evening....when it's my idea. LOL My new trick is gonna be... using the little rubber roller set up I bought to roll the sealant on the engine case partings. I've seen a couple of people do this on videos. On those pesky inner lip seals for the rotary valve chamber I'll be using Loctite or Permatex 518. Moto Seal dries or sets up too fast for me. I'll use Moto Seal on the case partings. I actually don't like that stuff because it appears to set up so quickly but I imagine it remains pliable enough because that's what I use and no problems thus far. It does make me work fast and if you screw up... you gotta clean everything so.... fast and accurate.

It's not ready to assemble I just stuck everything where it goes and covered it up. :)

My wife was watching me clean the casings and when I put the top have back on the table she said, "That's not the same one you just washed." I turned it over and she said "OH" Of course I laughed and said, "You gotta stay with me these things are tricky." :D :D

RFI Engine Rebuild 6-23 Damaged Rotary Gear (4).JPG

RFI Engine Rebuild 6-23 Damaged Rotary Gear (1).JPG

RFI Engine Rebuild 6-23 Damaged Rotary Gear (2).JPG

RFI Engine Rebuild 6-23 Damaged Rotary Gear (3).JPG

When I do put this thing together something you "always want to do" is bump the casing around just a bit to make sure the partings are even on the rotary valve face and the mag cover gasket surface. Also monitor that while torquing the bolts. Yes... don't forget that aluminum ring or you'll be taking the casings back apart. Stare at it a bit to make sure it is in there and that you remember putting it in there... that way you won't wake up and 2am wondering. :D :D

Back