98 xp taking on water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

xp951

My xp takes on water at a petty good rate... Maybe a couple gallons in 20 minutes or so. I ran it on the hose for about 10 mins and didnt find anything coming from the exhaust. I am going to splash it today without starting it and see if I can see anything coming in. Any ideas or past issues would be great. Thank you.

10 minutes on the hose is WAY to long. You will destroy the carbon seal. And,,, There is a good chance that is where the water is getting into your hull. If it is more than an occasional drip, it needs replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the carbon seal would be the first place to look, process of elimination

back it down into the water on the trailer, take seat off and start it, look for water.

< agree with CJ that 10 minutes on the hose is too long, (that's what she said) i'm more of a 1-2 minute kind of guy.

where the drive shaft enters into the hull

(not a pic from a 98 xpl, but, this should give you an idea)

akww.jpg

Ok, i backed it in on the trailor for about 15 mins and not a drop, i started it and ran it for a few on the trailor and nothing. I took it out for a 15 minute rip and pulled it out and the water was half way up the bilge pump. The water was warm when I pulled the plugs to drain it. I am thinking a leak under pressure in the exhust somewhere.

Ride it with the seat off. A lot of leaks will only occur with high pressure (ski moving). Based off the amount of water you have coming in it does sound like the carbon seal though.

I hate carbon seals with a passion. My XPs run bearing carriers instead.

Post a pic. The 98 XPL has the carrier bearing in the back, no carbon seal. Check the welch plugs on the main pipe, they rot out, follow every line

Item# 40

287.jpg

Follow the lines for the auto bilge do dads. If those lines are below the inlet they will actually suck water IN rather and suck it out.

Item# 18, follow the lines.

288.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back