98 XP excessive oil all of the sudden

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

h8toluz

Hey all, recently acquired 98 XPL with fresh’ish engine rebuild, carbs and fuel lines. It’s been sitting since spring. First time out yesterday. Have to choke it quite a bit and start/stall 5-6 times to get it to stay running but after warm, started great every time. Took it out, hammered down and all was good for a few seconds then started falling on its face. Came back and grabbed cell phone. After that, ran good for a few hours. All the sudden, saw smoke coming out from engine (was 2 stroke oil smoke) and wouldn’t go over 20mph. Seemed to be SUPER oil rich. Sputters and spits when floored and lots of exhaust smoke. Also, realized there was an exhaust leak which was causing the engine compartment smoke. Found a few clamps loose on exhaust which fixed the majority of it but still has some smoke coming from inside the rear. Any ideas on either of these issues? Hard to see anything inside when smoke is coming out

You need to find all the exhaust leaks first as it will not run with even a small exhaust leak.
Check your oil pump adjustment.
You might have a carb issues.

Also, check you cable to the oil pump, sounds like it broke or came off...when that happens it goes full bore on oil mix.

The exhaust leak is in the very rear and it’s super tough to see when smoke is bellowing out. Was gonna run the hose without engine running and look for the water leak but recently read that’s not a good idea. @Grim is it mounted under intake?

The exhaust leak is in the very rear and it’s super tough to see when smoke is bellowing out. Was gonna run the hose without engine running and look for the water leak but recently read that’s not a good idea. @Grim is it mounted under intake?
Do you have the silver 951? The pump cable is next to the throttle cable. If you take off your "air funnel" on the left side of motor and look down you should see two black covered cables going into a bracket on the bottom of carb. If it is there follow it to the pump (The oil pump is located on the forward end of the motor under the exhaust pipe, you can see it with a mirror). Actuate your throttle (on handle bars) to verify it moves with the throttle cable.
Also suggest downloading the repair and parts manual for your ski, it is free online. They have good pics and info .

Do you have the silver 951? The pump cable is next to the throttle cable. If you take off your "air funnel" on the left side of motor and look down you should see two black covered cables going into a bracket on the bottom of carb. If it is there follow it to the pump (The oil pump is located on the forward end of the motor under the exhaust pipe, you can see it with a mirror). Actuate your throttle (on handle bars) to verify it moves with the throttle cable.
Also suggest downloading the repair and parts manual for your ski, it is free online. They have good pics and info .
It is the silver 951

well lets start with what you know now .. the exhaust leak, Have you inspected the muffler and the large rubber hose going from the head pipe to muffler, those large hoses do break down often.

well lets start with what you know now .. the exhaust leak, Have you inspected the muffler and the large rubber hose going from the head pipe to muffler, those large hoses do break down often.
So, the rubber from expansion chamber to the 2.5” pipe is blown out. The smoke and power loss seem to all have happened simultaneously. Im assuming the engine ingesting exhaust is PROBABLY the power loss and the extremely oil rich running condition. I’ll replace rubber today and make sure I have good water flow to exhaust. I should probably take apart water regulator as well and inspect huh

So, the rubber from expansion chamber to the 2.5” pipe is blown out. The smoke and power loss seem to all have happened simultaneously. Im assuming the engine ingesting exhaust is PROBABLY the power loss and the extremely oil rich running condition. I’ll replace rubber today and make sure I have good water flow to exhaust. I should probably take apart water regulator as well and inspect huh
It wont hurt just don't do any adjustments to the unit until the hose is fixed, that way you don't introduce other issues. Look for signs of leaking at the connection point. Make sure the rubber piece inside has no holes. if it does repair/replace it.

It wont hurt just don't do any adjustments to the unit until the hose is fixed, that way you don't introduce other issues. Look for signs of leaking at the connection point. Make sure the rubber piece inside has no holes. if it does repair/replace it.
Has some minimal amount of water in it that kinda squishes out if I push the plunger all the way down. Is that normal or does that suggest there’s a hole in the diaphragm?

Has some minimal amount of water in it that kinda squishes out if I push the plunger all the way down. Is that normal or does that suggest there’s a hole in the diaphragm?
As long as it wasn't on the top part of the bellow, you should be fine. All the water passes through on the bottom, the bellow just regulates how much based on RPM. Just take it apart and look for holes in the rubber bellow. Mine actually had a pin hole. I used some RTV and plugged it up. Works good, but I never really had trouble with it.

Well, according to the service manual, they had the entire cooling system routed wrong. They had both of the small hoses coming off exhaust expansion chamber near the big clamp Y’d and going out the cooling system indicator port. They had the big lower feed hose on exhaust coming from the port on rear where u hook garden hose. They had feed at rear going to the cylinder head. They had one of the water regulator hoses T’d at the front, and I can’t even remember where they had those going.

Well, according to the service manual, they had the entire cooling system routed wrong. They had both of the small hoses coming off exhaust expansion chamber near the big clamp Y’d and going out the cooling system indicator port. They had the big lower feed hose on exhaust coming from the port on rear where u hook garden hose. They had feed at rear going to the cylinder head. They had one of the water regulator hoses T’d at the front, and I can’t even remember where they had those going.
That probably cause the damage you found to the hose, it got too hot! Nice catch. Hopefully your problem is solved, let us know.

Alright fellas, conflicting info here. The service manual shows cooling system one way and parts manual a completely different way. The parts manual is how it was originally setup and I changed it all to the way the service manual shows.

Attachments

• IMG_1512.png
    IMG_1512.png
    353.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1511.png
    IMG_1511.png
    316.5 KB · Views: 5
Might just be running rich because of exhaust leak.slso your using more throttle to keep it running so that might be causing a issue with excessive oil

Alright so, exhaust fixed, cooling system good, rich running is fixed. Thing starts right up, idles all day, throttle response is good but will only turn 6200 rpm. Appears to be stock impeller and water regulator is perfect and adjusted where the manual says. Compression is also good.

Back