98 Challenger 1800 in ICU project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

crewzer

Hello I recently purchased a 98 challenger as a fixer upper. I bought it from a guy who had both motors running but after he did some work lost the starboard motor.
I pulled the motor for a couple reason the main reason is the valve cover needs replaced and had some head bolts break.
The other reason was I thought the coil trigger might be bad. But I found a bolt broke where the ground wire where supposed to be connecting the two motors together. I believe this was my no start problem but want to double check my stator and trigger before I reinstall. Can u guys help?
I'm also open for suggestions and tips for items that I should address. I'm an office guy by day but took diesel school 15 years ago so please be patient: thumbsup:
To do list as of 7-12
Change steering & throttle cables - check pump clean out cables
Remove broken studs and reinstall valve covers
Check stator and trigger coil
Recover upholstery
Service as needed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    940.6 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    716.8 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    671.1 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    803.8 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    657.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited by a moderator:
A few more pics and my stator and trigger I want to check.

Also is a picture of the valve cover hose port that corroded away

And the auto oil pump that they bypassed. I think while they where doing this is when the broke the grounding wire off. Should rebook up the oiler?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,008.8 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    921.4 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    738.5 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    614.5 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    930.4 KB · Views: 18
A few inside the motor

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    434.2 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    776.2 KB · Views: 12
Looks like a good project. You will have a load of fun with it, once it's done.

I would recommend hooking up the oil injection again. It saves oil, and keeps the smoke in check.

The pistons, and cyl's look OK. There may be a little rust there... but if there isn't any rough spots... I would clean it up, and put it back together.

Thanks for the Tip's Dr. Honda, I will look into reconnecting oil injection. (I think the cable was removed from the oil pump)

Priced new Steering and Forward/Reverse cables, WOW, I think I will check the cable at the steering wheel and gear selector before I purchase. lol

Thanks for the Tip's Dr. Honda, I will look into reconnecting oil injection. (I think the cable was removed from the oil pump)

Priced new Steering and Forward/Reverse cables, WOW, I think I will check the cable at the steering wheel and gear selector before I purchase. lol
SBT sell the cables, I already have the steering and shift cable from them for ours... helluva lot cheaper than OEM, and they are of good quality to!

Thanks Pale Rider,

Just did a quick comparison, and you are right! (I suspect its wishful thinking that I can free them up, and will be ordering these soon)

Which I would have known that a few hours ago before I ordered gaskets & O Rings, Would have saved some $$$.

I read your rehab write-up a few days ago, very nicely done, gave me hope for mine.

Thanks Pale Rider,

Just did a quick comparison, and you are right! (I suspect its wishful thinking that I can free them up, and will be ordering these soon)

Which I would have known that a few hours ago before I ordered gaskets & O Rings, Would have saved some $$$

I read your rehab write-up a few days ago, very nicely done, gave me hope for mine.

Thanks...

be careful with the gasket choices:
example"
Carb gaskets, use ONLY the thick OEM gaskets, the SBT gaskets are to thin.
for the rest of the engine SBT`s are fine, they have quality metal shim exhaust gaskets. but if your cylinders are a little out of alignment or have questionable surfaces on the matting surface of the exhaust manifold or jugs, the OEM`s are thick and with a little high temp RTV they seal well... Otherwise I think SBT`s are pretty good and def better than WSM...

Trigger coil Bad?

This is my first experance with a trigger coil.
[1] Can someone please confirm that the trigger coil needs to be replaced and that I preformed the check correctly?
[2] Should I replace the stator at the same time? Or is there a bench test that I overlooked.

Thanks for the help in advanced. I do not want to redo this after I install the motor

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    774.8 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    627.1 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    764.5 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 7
The trigger coil, and the Stator is sold as a single unit. So... if it's questionable... replace it.

SBT sell the cables, I already have the steering and shift cable from them for ours... helluva lot cheaper than OEM, and they are of good quality to!

Hey just so you guys know you can get the OEM throttle cable 204390091(Lefthand side) for $171.99 and the other one 204390090(righthand side) For $162.99. They would be the correct length meaning you wouldn't end up with extra cable to hide since SBT sells the LH (longer side only). SBT charges $159, so for a few bucks more you can get OEM.

Also the steering cable 204390145 is $148 vs. $143 from SBT--$5 bucks more for the OEM. Andy you gotta shop it bud, www.shspowersports.com, join their buyers program with Jen (it's free) and you will see the cheaper price right there on your screen. Order on a Friday have it mid week next week and they usually offer free shipping (like right now!). I think the site sponsor said they would price match as well, not sure if that offer still stands or not.

Sbt has some decent stuff, but for just a few bucks more, why???? I'd rather wait a few extra days for the good stuff, especially on a big project, now if I was leaving town for a trip, yes I might do SBT.

Hey just so you guys know you can get the OEM throttle cable 204390091(Lefthand side) for $171.99 and the other one 204390090(righthand side) For $162.99. They would be the correct length meaning you wouldn't end up with extra cable to hide since SBT sells the LH (longer side only). SBT charges $159, so for a few bucks more you can get OEM.

Also the steering cable 204390145 is $148 vs. $143 from SBT--$5 bucks more for the OEM. Andy you gotta shop it bud, www.shspowersports.com, join their buyers program with Jen (it's free) and you will see the cheaper price right there on your screen. Order on a Friday have it mid week next week and they usually offer free shipping (like right now!). I think the site sponsor said they would price match as well, not sure if that offer still stands or not.

Sbt has some decent stuff, but for just a few bucks more, why???? I'd rather wait a few extra days for the good stuff, especially on a big project, now if I was leaving town for a trip, yes I might do SBT.

Thanks for the heads up Dan!:cheers:

The trigger coil, and the Stator is sold as a single unit. So... if it's questionable... replace it.

Dr Honda,

Thanks for the info. I highly value your opinion!

I checked the Parts Diagram, my model appears to be sold separately, (I could be wrong) Based on price I'd rather go aftermarket or used. Any thoughts?

Thanks Again!!!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374163757.552196.jpg

Dan,

Looks like I going to be Slacking!:facepalm: Ordered SBT cables on Tuesday.

Thanks for the Info.

Jerod

How much is the aftermarket vs. used.vs. new? I can get OEM new for $90 at SHS or $87.66 at OSDparts.com (another awesome resource).

http://osdparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=1572

Personally I wouldn't go aftermarket, I'd rather a good used OEM. But if the A/M price is close to OEM why not just get new. ANd if used is more than half the cost of new, I'd go new.

On your test, I'm assuming you don't have the harness adapter so I would also assume that you would put your meter directly on each solder blob or back tracked to hit each pin in the 6 pin Deutsche plug. I just tested an old nasty one I have and it's at 255 ohms, both on the blobs or the pins, using the blobs to measure is easier.

Sorry about the late post for the cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back