96 xp wont go past 10 mph

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

yiw1z4rdcom

hello i have a issue with my sea doo yesterday not sure but i go the electrical system wet so it fouled out the plugs.so i let it dry out and put new plugs in and it starts up and runs in a skip but when i go to give it gas and hold it down it just wont go past 10 mph??

ill start from first.. i just bought them they have sat for about a year so they had a few carb issues at first but i ran a few tanks of gas threw them and they worked great. the next day i took it out and while i was waiting on my wife i beached the seadoo for about two hours and the back end was underwater.. so when my wife go there we got on them and mine had water in the hull.. the water cam up over the box were the electric box in the back was.. it was under water and i tryed to start it would not fire.. so i get it back on the trailer and drain the water out and still would not fire.. changed the plugs and it fired right off and shut off when it shut off it fouled out the plugs once more.. so i let it dry out tell about 1 pm today and went and bought new plugs and put them in and fire right up.. so i take it to the water and put it in and it started and ran but when i hit the gas all the way it just would go about 10 or 15 mph thats it.. it bogged out for a few secs but after that it was fine. but at full gas it will go no faster then 15 mph

I'm parting out a whole 96 XP, if you need something just let me know!

Check the compression, and fuel filter(s). what gas lines are in it? grey or black?

I'm parting out a whole 96 XP, if you need something just let me know!

Check the compression, and fuel filter(s). what gas lines are in it? grey or black?

Im not sure on the compression ill do a check after work but the gas lines are black.. but i just put a new fuel filter in.

When you say 10 MPH, is the engine at normal RPM? Do these have tach guages? I'm sure you know if it's revving up.

-I'm no expert but try checking for irregular spark, if it is irregular, may be your voltage regulator (easy fix) or your stator is broken from its mount making irregular spark (more difficult fix)

-Also check compression, tells you a lot about an engine!
-It may be a carb problem... Read this http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?40380-Carburetor-Adjustments

Just some of my thoughts, im in no way a pro, mabey one of the pro's could confirm some of the things im thinking !!!!! :thumbsup:

EDIT: I agree with sabrtoothsqrl, if it is revving high, your propulsion system may have a problem

ahh thanx guys but it was it was a simple fix the other day when i got water in it the electric box in the box was covered in water pulled the top off the box and my god it was full of water.. put some alcohol in there took a hair dryer and now it runs like a charm now the next thing how and why is there water coming in at..

But when i said it would just go 10 mph it was not revving at all its like it just would not go and it was low rpm... but check and make sure all boxes are water proof haha

while parting out a '96 XP i looked at that box. poor design choice to put that connector on top like that. the way they did it wasn't the best. I'm glad it works now. I would seal it up with some RTV or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back