96 XP Starter??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rotaxrule1

Hello all,

From the looks of it, my starter is going bad on my XP. Basically it is a pain in the butt to get the starter to engage long enough to turn the engine over unless it is already warm and starts over on the first few revolutions. I have bypassed the relay with a jumper and verified all connections in the electrical box (all looks clean and corrosion free) and nothing seems to change, it clicks intermittently and the starter solenoid only stays engaged for a second or two most of the time. I do however, need to check the cable and ground on the starter end to make sure those are good before I replace the starter.

My question to you guys, I am seeing "new" starters going on amazon and ebay for the 787 engine for around 60 bucks. Does that sound about right? Are all 787 engines using the same starter regardless of model machine or year? Thanks in advance for any info.

Sbt

Get one from SBT. They're $100.00. I broke the positive post on my brand new one and they sent me another without any hesitation! A little peice of mind!

Thanks for the reply, can you provide me a link to their website or are you referring to a user here? Sorry I am a bit new to this forum :)

Do NOT be tempted to get one off ebay. I did, and it seized after a couple trips.

I noticed it would turn over and then stop after a couple seconds. Finally it locked into the flywheel.

Took it apart and was playing with it on my desk waiting for my SBT rebuilt to arrive, and while spinning it, noticed the shaft was bent. Looked more closely and could see a dent in the tip of the shaft where someone had obviously dropped it and bent it about .100 out of round.

It still worked, but that one time it hit at just the right angle to bind it. That was a 2-hour trip to the lake, seized upon starting (luckily still on the trailer), then 2 hours home for disassembly.

My point is SBT has better quality control and wouldn't send something out that was damaged like that.

Good to know, their store has all kinds of seadoo goodies for a decent price! Just what I needed. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back