Omg another starter thread

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Frige

2000 gts I picked up for almost nothing. Its sat in the barn for a while after I had some problems getting it to do anything. I bought another mpem for it and it made a sound or 2. Motor was locked up but I got it spinning over but looks like the starter and solenoid are toast. So no big deal just pop the starter off and....
OMG who the h built this thing? I cant get close to the starter. I pulled part of the exhaust off just to get to the bolts but I cant even get that off.
Looks like Im pulling the motor. It needs it anyway thing is nasty and needs a bath.

The question is how do most people replace the starter?

I dont see a dipstick, how high is the water supposed to be?

Attachments

• 20230718_200321.jpg
    20230718_200321.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 23
First off , that motor is junk as it is full of rusty water.

Second, to gey to the starter, remove the pipe if you have to then be flexible, motor does not have to come out.

That motor will have to come out and be completely torn down and rebuilt.

Thanks for the reply Miki. I am pulling the motor for sure. I just cant get to the bolt to get the pipe out. I dipped my finger in it and got oil. But it might just be on the surface.

Hopefully it is mostly oil but it still should be torn down for inspection and resealed.

There is that pesky starter. I have never seen a silver seadoo engine. I will pull it apart tomorrow. When I get some help I will get the engine out.
starter.jpg

Is this a good starter kit? Amazon.com
It is hard to say, about 3 years ago I ordered that kit and it kept shipping without both brushes. After numerous attempts contacting Amazon and them continuing to ship incomplete kits I have up and ordered from Ebay.

Pulled the starter apart. It doesnt look bad but is dry as a bone.
not a spec of grease.

Attachments

• gtsstarter.jpg
    gtsstarter.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 10
  • gtsstarter002.jpg
    gtsstarter002.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 11
Hi Frige, wondering if you have progress / updates on this? I'm doing an upper-end rebuild on a 2000 gts myself right now without removing the entire engine from the hull and figured I would replace the starter. The rebuild kit costs about as much as a new one, but seeing lots of bad reviews. I'm ordering one from Titan 757 who also sells as bayareapowersports on ebay and on their main website. I've gotten many parts from them in the past, all the electrical including MPEM and only had a bad coil which they refunded. Amazon.com This one shows a few bad reviews too, but 1year warranty and I really don't wanna pull the exhaust again to get to it if it fails. I had to purchase a long ratcheting 13mm to get the one bolt behind the main pipe then also bought a ratcheting cordless driver for the exhaust bolts which helped a lot just fyi.
---
Also wondering if you got the drive shaft / jet pump off easily? For some odd reason this specific model (2000 GTS) in the shop manual it says you need a special tool to pull the jet pump, but all others don't need it. 2000 SeaDoo Manuals - FREE PDF Download!

Im a old guy and its hard for me to get down into some areas. I already had the jet pump out and I knew I needed to pull the engine anyway. I just turned the engine on its side after pulling the exhaust and the starter was easy to get to. I have heard bad things about aftermarket starters and I used to rebuild electric motors so I went that route.
As far as the jet pump I have some plastic crowbars and just started driving them in between the hull and the jet pump. You have to break the silicone seal to the hull. Just be careful and slow.

Just a friendly FYI, all of the aftermarket starters suck. Rebuild the OEM and enjoy your ski instead of replacing starters.

Back