another starter relay thread, maybe mine is different?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
So please forgive me for creating this post..:) my starter relay will click a few times and then eventually the starter will engage and start the engine. So should I be looking to blame the starter or the relay? I think although I'm not sure that I replaced the relay already and the battery is new. I could just pull the starter and rebuild it. After 20+ years it probably needs it anyways. Anyone recommend a kit for it? Thanks everyone!
I've started to keep a journal of repairs that I have done to each one, so I don't forget which one got what. I have 2 identical machines so it can get confusing otherwise.

Can you jump the solenoid to see if the starter is strong. That may rule out the starter. This is an ohms test you can do on the solenoid as well to see if it is healthy.

Thanks.....I will hafta look into it. As touchy as the computers on these seem to be I'm a little leery of risking damage by jumping anything. I ordered a rebuild kit for the starter as it was cheap enough.

You should rule out the simpler stuff like Grim said before removing and rebuilding the starter. First you should either have your new battery either load tested or put a volt meter across it when you try to start and observe that the voltage does not drop below 12V. Jumping across the top 2 large terminals on the solenoid with an insulated screwdriver or tool will not affect the other electronics but should tell you if the relay or wiring to/from the relay should be checked. Last you could remove the red battery cable from the starter and use a jumper cable to that post on the starter and touch to your battery positive to see if the starter turns reliably.

I just went ahead and installed a new Oem Sea-doo starter relay and problem solved! I will have the starter rebuild kit on hand for when that day comes but hopefully not too soon.

Back