96 xp MPEM or Solenoid?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadugan

I have a 96 xp, when I hit the start button the guages and everything works as it is supposed to including timer. The solenoid will not click and send juice to starter. The Y/R wire from MPEM that provides + to solenoid has 11.4 volts. When I bench tested the solenoid with 12.5 volts the solenoid works fine. Is the MPEM not providing enough power? or should the solenoid work with 11.4 volts? my battery is brand new fully charged at 12.6v. All wire ends and grounds have been cleaned and reassembled.

Thanks, I would appreciate some help!

check your ground connection at the coil, inside the rear ebox..where solenoid is.

Checked ground at coil, all clean. Black lead on black solenoid wire, red lead on positive battery terminal= 12.38v. Black solenoid wire and y/r solenoid wire= 11.4v. 12.58v power to mpem. I'm not new to electrical problems, I would think that the mpem would put out the same or near power that was coming in.

I'm not new to electrical problems, QUOTE]

From that post, no, no your not. Best way to verify is to replace with known good one....(from your 95 seadoo 720)

Future reference...96-787's were notorious for pickup bracket breaking behind the mag cover. Even though it "checks out" fine, pull the cover and darn thing just hanging around. So if/when you experience a "no spark" situation, that would be the first place i check...:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. I'm going to pull it out of the 95 and check it out. Its good to have another set of brains!

Voltage

The 11.4 voltage does seem strange. Check and see what you battery voltage drops off to when you press the start button (all componets connected). The y/r wire voltage should reflect the battery voltage (or real close to it) when the button is pushed. If the voltage at the y/r wire is not close to battery voltage then there's a possibility that you have a bad module but it is more likely that you have a connection problem or a partially broken r/y wire. I say this assuming the solenoid swap didn't fix it.
DAWG

Problem Solved!

The solenoid out of the '95 worked! I tested the y/r again before I put the '95 solenoid on and it was reading 11.69 this time, kind of confusing. Don't know why it is not the same as input power, but it worked. Thanks for the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back