96 Speedster No Power under load

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Royaldata1

I have a problem I hope you can help, I have a 96 Speedster I bought 3 years ago. Didn't run great when I bought it but the price was right. I cleaned the carbs and it ran like a champ. Son had it on the lake earlier this summer and had power loss in port engine. Also an over heat warning tone. Claims to have shut it down quickly and limped back on one engine. I found upper exhaust pipe had come loose from exhaust manifold. Was concerned about the overheat condition and did compression test before reassembling the exhaust. Compression on one cylinder was 128 and the other was 130. Since I didn't have a manuel I compression tested the other engine and had the exact results one cylinder at 128 the other 130 so I figured the compression was good. Repaired exhaust with new gasket and rubber grommet assembly that was chewed up. Ran the engine with the hose attached and sounded good revved to 6K with no problem. Launched it tonight to try it out on the lake and the port engine has no power. Will not make more than 3K rpm at full throttle. Starboard engine seems fine. Just wondering if you have any input on where to go from here. I am two-cycle neophyte although I know a lot about 4 cycle and diesel. Just not sure what is the best direction to take. I am pretty sure I am working with the Rotex 717 engines.

I have a dopy question, did you change the spark plugs before running it again, and what did they look like?

Karl

Not a dopy question. I did not change the plugs because they were new just before the incident and they looked what I thought was good afterwards with a slightly tan color, not much buildup. I did go back out and check after my first post last night and one was looking pretty wet(smelled like gas) so I am thinking I have a possible carburation issue. The other looked same as before with a slightly tan color. If it is carburation probably unrelated to initial problem but not sure. Any thoughts?

If there's a blockage in one of the carbs, it might not get enough fuel to the motor, and it won't rev up under load

You might just have a unrelated problem that sprouted up after the over heat incident. I'd replace the spark plugs anyway( NGK BR8ES Gap/ 0.5-0.6mm or .020-.024in.) Does the seadoo still have gray fuel lines? You might want to replace them and the clamps while your at it. Use stainless steel clamps, and clean the carbs to finish it up. If the compression is good and it's getting good spark it leaves the fuel system...

Let us know how you make out.

Karl

Has black fuel lines so may be fine there. Will change the plugs and go over the carbs again. No magic here, basic motor mechanics I guess. Thanks, I will let you know how I make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back