Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last time out on the water, when I would turn off the engine, intermittently upon putting the key back on the high temp LED would flash a few times, then whole info dash would turn off... take out key and try again, eventually it would just work as normal. Now it seems to be indefinite. Will not crank for the short while the info gauge is lit up, flashing the high temp warning LED. I can crank the engine upon shorting the solenoid posts. All the fuses in the rear and front boxes are good, disconnecting the temp sensor from its post on the cylinder head makes no change. Any ideas?

I'd start by checking all connectors for tightness, continuity and corrosion.....sometimes its really just the simple things.

There is actually quite a bit of corrosion in many of the connectors, how would you recommend I clean up such small hard to scrub contacts? A Seadoo mechanic also suggested my solenoid is bad, I have a replacment that I will be throwing in soon.

Sadly replacing the starter solenoid did not change the problem.

Specifically when connecting the key fob, the info gauge starts up and the high temp LED flashes two-and-a-half times and then shuts the info gauge off. (My beeper is busted) When pressing the start button with the key fob still attached from before, the info gauge begins to start up but then immediately shuts back down.

This must mean something. Maybe a bad ground somewhere? Maybe my key fob became unrecognized? Could my MPEM be shot?

I still have yet to really go in and scrub each and every connector, most look to be okay except with some old white electric grease, but not corroded. One of the only particularly corroded connectors are the female slots going to the starter solenoid....

I'd do my best to clean all connections and wiggle and reseat all harness connections...BEFORE I assume the MPEM is shot. See attached '96 & '97 GSX wiring diagrams for reference purposes...use the one that corresponds to your ski. [My '96 ski wiring diagram is not correct for my ski, so I have to use the '97 wiring diagram]

Attachments

• 1997 GSX wiring diagram.pdf
    178.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 1996 GSX wiring diagram.pdf
    187.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I'm going to clean all of the connections, how exactly do I test for continuity for each connector?

I have a relay assembly on the way (the small black one for the grey front box, not the solenoid) another post mentioned this solved his simular issue

SOLUTION

the Module Relay fixed the issue, you can find them on eBay.

however a new problem has risen after taking it out on the water to test, upon accelerating for 30 seconds the ski suddently shut off, went dark, and the info dash will not even light up at all upon keying or start button pressing. Checked EVERY fuse, EVERY connector, replaced the solenoid (again) and nothing. Battery is at 12.6v; it will not turnover or even spark upon jumping the solenoid terminals. The starter is good because I just replaced it during this fiasco. Bad ground to the starter maybe?seadoo modual relay.jpg

Last edited:
Collection of grounds on the bottom of the coil. Start there.
Next the single small ground wire going to the battery. Or the connector on top of the electrical box.

Then check the back wire in the connection in front of the motor. Make sure the pin on the engine side is giving you a good ground.

Unplug the vts or pull the fuse for now.

That holder relay could have gone bad or something could have damaged it.

What your describing is the way the info center behaves under very low voltage conditions.

Oh and replace your beeper. You need that to troubleshoot.

The info center on for a second and off when placing rhrhe key on post is usually unrecognized key.
The beeper would tell you that.

Press start 5 times without key on and it should beep twice. Short/long.

SOLUTION #2

Bad ground on starter post to battery
Took off the airbox and thankfully was able to slowly unbolt the ground from the starter post without removing the entire starter (total pain) shoved a dremel down inside and sanded the starter post and the cable post, works perfectly now.

I appreciate everyone's input on this post, as of right now this ski should be working great as much of its components have been recently replaced (I suspect sometime in the future I will need to do a Pre-mix modification even though currently the oil injector is functioning properly and possibly do a whole engine rebuild as its only getting 130psi, maybe just new piston rings, O-rings and gaskets?)

Dont premix. If it works it's not necessary.
Do a proper rebuild. These engines will not forgive any corners cut.

New crank.
New top end kit
New counterballance bearings
New seals and gaskets.

Collection of grounds on the bottom of the coil. Start there.
Next the single small ground wire going to the battery. Or the connector on top of the electrical box.

Then check the back wire in the connection in front of the motor. Make sure the pin on the engine side is giving you a good ground.

Unplug the vts or pull the fuse for now.

That holder relay could have gone bad or something could have damaged it.

What your describing is the way the info center behaves under very low voltage conditions.

Oh and replace your beeper. You need that to troubleshoot.

The info center on for a second and off when placing rhrhe key on post is usually unrecognized key.
The beeper would tell you that.

Press start 5 times without key on and it should beep twice. Short/long.

The info center on for a brief moment and then off is also a BAD Relay module assembly, as per my post above, obtaining a used one off eBay immediately solved this long issue since the beginning of this thread, I would like anyone that is experiencing my same issue to look into getting a used Relay Module Assembly as this cured my issue; I would have suspected an unrecognized key next if this hadn't solved my issue.

I do need a new beeper that sure would be handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back