NEED HELP 1997 Seadoo GSX won't start!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeZiegler

NEEP HELP!!! (Sorry for the long thread of crazy information)

I just got a 1997 GSX with an “Electrical Issue” so the owner said… This is what I have done so far to trouble shoot!

This is what’s happening, I’ll connect the battery, attached key to post. At which nothing happens, no beeps, no gauges light up or anything. Then ill proceed to press the start button in which the motor with spin nicely for a couple secs wanting to start and then stop. When I go to try to press the start button again all I get is a clunking sound.

I removed the head and was able to confirm the pistons seem to be in good condition as well as the cylinder walls.

When pressing the start button with no spark plugs in the motor will turn over and the front jug will spit some oil out where the back jug won’t. Nothing leads me to believe a bad crank shaft or issues with the rods/pistons.

Key Diagnostics - I remove key and press start button 5 times, then put key one post and press again in which the motor just returns to the clunking sound.

- Removed started to inspect for corrosion etc. (Not sure how the starter should spin but it was not a smooth spin. It still spun freely just some resistance every .25” not sure if this is normal or not. It seems super clean however I did not open to see brushes, going to do that when I get home)

- Installed new DESS and start button
- Removed connections to Mpem (No Corrosion)
- Electronic spray cleaned all connections
- Greased all connections
- Brand new battery pulling 12.9v
- Replaced all fuses with new ones (None were bad)
- Replaced Main Ground Wire to Starter
- Added 14g Ground wire to MPEM mount nut
- Checked the Starter solenoid
- Replaced Spark Plugs

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Update! 95% sure it was just hydro locked. Cranked it over until I could crank it with plugs in. Started right up! However compression was still super high about 190. Trying to work on getting that down.

Also installed a quick fix of a 1/2pex shut off on the oil pump

You should never have a shutoff on the oil pump, only on the rotary feed line.

High compression from oil or water in the cylinders should be back to normal as soon as it is running and blown out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back