951 into 2000 gs hull?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wholegrain

Hi there,

Just joined up recently and am new to jetskis and have few questions.
I Have a 2000 gs hull (with the red seat) that that I picked up cheap. It was stripped of everything bar the fuel tank and the plate that the pump fits on. I brought it with the hopes of one day putting in a 720, which I think it originally came with, but........

I met a guy who has a 951 fully rebuilt with new pistons, rings, and new crank, bearings , seals etc from a gtx.
(i think, may of been from a gsx? cant remember what he said will check with him)
Im not sure what year though. The guy who owns it builds jet boats for tour groups etc and was going to put this in one but decided to go with the 4 strokes instead.
He has everything out of the gtx, the oil tank, electrics, engine mounts, exhaust, trim motor, reverse gate, pump, ride plate, all gauges etc etc everything all stripped out of a hull that he sold.
He wants a couple of grand for everything which I guess is pretty reasonable here in nz
I heard that these are powerful engines and was entertaining the thought of putting it all in my gs hull.

I know the gs was pretty much the base model and has the 140mm pump. I've done alot of reading of forums and such and found out that it would be a mission to fit this.
I know I would have to modify the mounts somehow to accomodate only 3 mounting points instead of the four. But Really struggle to find anything about trying to fit the 150mm( or is it 155mm) pump into my 140mm mounting plate.
1) Do I need the 951 pump or can I get by with the original pump that came with the 720?
2) Is there a better way to fabricate a third mount without having to fibreglass something in?
3) Would it actually fit???

Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance

Barely possible but WAY too much work. The motor mounts and pump mounting areas are totally different but that's not all..... The floor is different where you mount the waterbox, rear exhaust hose, rear electrical, etc. I'd try to find the 717 parts or sell your GS hull and try and find a complete ski project.

I think you have 2 options. 1. Get a 720 and everything you need for your GS hull. 2. Find a 98'-99' GSXL or GTXL hull for the 951. You'll face a lot of challenges that might not be worth it trying to put a 951 in a hull that had a 720 in it.

I've done a few modifications in my life. You end up re-engineering so much stuff. I had a 600cc Sport bike that I was fixing up to road race. As I was discussing a plan with my buddy that builds drag bikes and such, has a dyno and years of experience said, "Gene, just buy a faster bike as you are never going to catch the the newer bikes because they are modifying them too." Moral of the story for me is, buy something that already has the performance that you want/need. Also.... write a list of your requirements down and check off the boxes to keep your perspective.. I have a 1998 GS and dang if that ski isn't hella fun to ride.

Currently the main reason I don't mess with 4-strokes is they are too much like a Boat...as in very large watercraft. I don't want to loose the dirt bike aspect of jet skis. The GS platform is very cool, More stable than the 1996 XP and SPX, a little more room and a lot of fun to ride. Your mileage may vary, the boxes you check off my vary... but good luck and have fun with whatver you choose !! :)

Hey thanks guys for your advice.
Unfortunately here in nz, its not as easy to come across second hand hulls or engines for that matter, and if they do come up for sale people want an arm and a leg for them! Id probably be waiting for ever for a gsxl hull to come along. And longer for a 717! You see most people in nz just leave things in the back yard if they break and those that end up selling them want close to what you'd pay new for it!

I was just fortunate to pick up the gs hull for a song and a friend through his work heard about this guy with a rebuilt 951. So coming across the right seadoo parts is pretty slim.
To get the same thing (power/nice looking ski) here in nz i'd probably be looking at close to 8grand or more.

I appreciate your experience and advice and acknowledge that you'd know far more than i could about these things but have all winter to try and make this work some how. Im pretty good at nutting things out and have had small experience with fibreglass, (prefer not to though) but getting the knowledge of you guys can make things that bit easier.
If I do go ahead with the 951 ill post my progress (or lack of ) as I go. And hope that I Wont have to eat a piece of humble pie:)

You are gonna need to line that engine up. Do you have access to a bar set up? You can improvise one if need be. That's gonna be critical. How much to to ship you and engine from the states?

Hey etemplet,
no I dont, but ill look around the forum to see how I can make one. (or if need be get one off ebay).
And I havn't looked at how much it would cost to ship an engine over here. Probably cost me as much as the engine! But I'll have a look to see if thats a viable option...

Last edited:
Wow !! Well you can make an alignment set up out of the jet pump. I've never done it but... I'd just take the jet pump apart and put a shaft in there to line up the engine. I don't know how accurate it would be because the pump length is not very long. Should get you close though and better than nothing.

Hey etemplet, been looking at forums all night and came across someone who had made their own alignment tool, forgotten where, but seemed simple enough to do.
also I've got a 96 sp that gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago and something has munched the rotary valve cover and munched the piston closest to the pto wheel.
So looked on ebay for a second hand 580 block. Found one for $49(nz) from a crowd called adrenalinemotors in the us. Emailed them to see how much shipping would cost so waiting to hear back. What ever he comes back with should give me a good estimate on how much a whole engine (720) would cost to ship.
Then I'd drastically have to rethink the 951 idea...
Thanks for your replies thus far :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back