951 accelerator pump question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

4x4Nick

Wondering about the function of the accelerator pump on my 2001 Sportster LE's carbs. I've got them off the engine waiting on rebuild kits to show up, I can hear the pump functioning when I work the throttle linkage, but it seems like it only wants to squirt fuel through the PTO side carb. Is this normal, or is the mag side carb suppose to get fuel also?

Also, what to folks generally do with these, keep them installed or delete them & bump the pilots up? I wasn't even aware there were 2-stroke carb setups out there with accelerator pumps until I pulled them off my engine. I'm all for eliminating a potential failure point if I can.

Wondering about the function of the accelerator pump on my 2001 Sportster LE's carbs. I've got them off the engine waiting on rebuild kits to show up, I can hear the pump functioning when I work the throttle linkage, but it seems like it only wants to squirt fuel through the PTO side carb. Is this normal, or is the mag side carb suppose to get fuel also?

Also, what to folks generally do with these, keep them installed or delete them & bump the pilots up? I wasn't even aware there were 2-stroke carb setups out there with accelerator pumps until I pulled them off my engine. I'm all for eliminating a potential failure point if I can.
They have some brass tubes that protrude into the carb opening. They will gum up and require some carb spray and compressed air. You might be able to reach the hoses with out removing too much. If it's like mine you detach the hose from acc pump and squirt carb clearner to get the pto side and detach the hose from the barb on the mag side and squirt and blow. If you blow to hard you will detach the hoses and have to go in, so be careful

They should both spray,,,check that the hose to the front carb is not cracked or off.

If your accelerator pumps are gummed up, you can usually pull the choke for 1 second and release right before throttling up. That shoots a little fuel in and lets you REV up to stage 2 and beyond.

If your accelerator pumps are gummed up, you can usually pull the choke for 1 second and release right before throttling up. That shoots a little fuel in and lets you REV up to stage 2 and beyond.
That is not correct, the choke has nothing to do with the accelerator pumps or squirting fuel.
If the accelerator pump doesn't squirt you will have hesitation and a stumble.

When my accelerator pump was gummed up, I could not throttle up past idle. It would hesitate sputter and engine off.

If I pull the choke for one second with the engine running before I throttle up, I don't get the hesitation sputter and engine off.

Maybe its not the accelerator pump that is causing that? Maybe I have a vacuum leak instead of a gummed up accelerator pump. Either way, it works for me!

When my accelerator pump was gummed up, I could not throttle up past idle. It would hesitate sputter and engine off.

If I pull the choke for one second with the engine running before I throttle up, I don't get the hesitation sputter and engine off.

Maybe its not the accelerator pump that is causing that? Maybe I have a vacuum leak instead of a gummed up accelerator pump. Either way, it works for me!
What you are saying makes sense.
It is running lean because the accelerator pump isn't working so you get the hesitation. Pulling the choke makes the fuel mixture richer so it gets past the hesitation.

So pulling the choke gets you past the hesitation but it isn't fixing the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back