95 XP Compression Test Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgiffune

I've got 120 psi on both cylinders of my 95 XP. Brand new guage for auto zone. What's included in the top end rebuild, and is there a procedure on the forum somewhere detailed? I didn't find one.

Also, funny thing is, that I got the compression tested by the shop back in 96 when I first purchased the XP, I still have the documentation that states '120 psi both cylinders - OK'. Seems odd that the shop deemed 120 psi as good, and also that it hasn't changed at ALL in 15 years, especially if 120 psi indicated a problem back then. (I wouldn't say constantly ridden 'HARD' but this thing has gotten a lot of use over the years)

A standard 720 engine should be putting out 150 PSI.

I don't think that there is a write up on how to rebuild the top end. All the info needed is in the manual. (Specs, sizes, torque) Unfortunately, there is too many details to try to do a step-by-step post.

Thanks for the reply. The ski is running fine, is that the general consensus? If it's not broken....?

This may be a stupid question, but what exactly is included in the 'top end rebuild', ie- what parts do I need to order and have on hand to complete the task? Is there a kit for this as there is in the carburetor rebuild? I do have the shop manual for the details.

If the ski is running good... then run it until it fails. Also... if you can show that you are way down at 120 PSI from '96... then that engine may have just been put together wrong. If that's the case... the engine isn't eating itself. (A very thick base gasket will drop the pressure like that)

A "Top-end" is normally, 2 new pistons with rings... a top end gasket kit... and to have the cyl's over sized.

I agree, if the compression is 120 and always been 120, and is running good, it might last forever.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! As always, I appreciate the responses and the endless supply of knowledge you provide!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back