'95 SPI - Runs perfect - Then Bogs down to Idle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandman1xx

Hey Everyone.... I'm a Newbie here. I will apologize in advance for redundant questions. I have searched the "Fuel - Bog - Power" tag words and have narrowed my issue down to about 10 possible causes. Please help......

I have recently purchased this '95 SPI. Initially, I rebuilt the jet pump & went to the lake. It ran fine for about 5 minutes then lost power - down to idle speed - and required "pumping" the throttle to keep it running at idle speed. It would restart without difficulty if stalled. But, no rpm gains with throttle increases ( maybe 200-300 total rpm increase). Then, after 10 - 15 minutes rest, it will run fine for a minute or two. After a few hours rest - the ski will repeat the cycle & run 5 min. initially - then one or two minutes.

Then I found this forum..... replaced all fuel lines....cleaned both carb fuel filters & the main fuel filter.... Replaced the fuel pump diaphragm and gaskets ....and in the process - discovered that the pressure relief check valve only functioned with high levels of pressure - the gas tank vent check valve was O.K. Back to the lake ..... ran perfect for 25 to 30 minutes and.... the same symptoms surfaced... Bogged down to idle & never cuts off. After resting the ski for an hour.... it's run time is just a minute.

I have currently (since last lake trip), flushed the gas tank (which had a significant amout of crap ), and replaced with "Known" fresh fuel. Cleaned the fuel selector valve. I have not lake tested it yet.

My question is...... Where should I go from here? (After the fuel line & pressure relief valve replacement.... the ski ran great for 30 minutes).... ( Fresh gas & fuel selector clean-up has not been tested yet ). I did not rebuild the carbs because of the 30 minute perfect run time.

Thanks in advance for any and all input on this.

go test it on the water and we'll go from there...but you on the right track...
also hope you replaced the little strainer filter on the bottom of the fuel pick up tube in the tank.

Sounds like it's overheating.

Do you have water coming out the pee-hole? Does you buzzer work?

Thanks for the quick replies .......

Yes the pee-holes have good flow.... as far as touch - the motor does not "feel" like it's "hot". I have a service manual.... i will figure out how to check the buzzer and will re-post after I have that info. Thanks Dr. Honda !!!

No I did not check the inlet screen/filter in the fuel pick-up tube - I will follow up on that. Thanks Raider !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have water out the pee-hole, and you can touch the engine... you are fine. The quick way to test the buzzer is to take the wire off the sender (on the head) and ground it. The buzzer should sound.

Back to the lake .... Lake Greenwood South Carolina - 107 degrees this weekend - new state record....... Removed the fuel selector valve.... sprayed it with Gum-out carb cleaner - got a ton of green / tan particles out of it.... then the rubber internal washer/sleeve disintegrated..... also the intake screen on the bottom of the fuel tube was in pretty bad shape. So I ordered a new fuel selector....& cleaned the intake screen ....I will replace it this weekend & check the "Over-temp" buzzer - Refuel with fresh petro and see what happens.

One more thing Dr. Honda..... When I checked the engine for Touch temp..... that was after an extended period at Idle- to get back to the dock......I'm going to tether it to the dock and run at moderate rpm to check the surface temp. - The injection oil in this ski is from the previous owner... after your over-heating suggestion - I'm thinkin' the injection oil may be from the corner convenience store... so I will be draining the oil tank in addition to the above steps.......

*Question: Is the Lucus synthetic blend that exceeds the API-TC standards acceptable for Sea doo use?

Thanks again Dr. Honda & Raider

Last edited by a moderator:
I have exact same problem and have moved on to electrical. Rectifier regulator. R u sure its gas. I m a newbee just trying to help. Let us know how u r doing.

Hey Eddie,.

I'm waiting on the new fuel selector valve to arrive..... I just finished cleaning out the oil reservoir... getting ready to re-do the oil lines and add ATI-PC rated oil and purge / prime the system. I can't check the over-heat buzzer until I get it up and running - the fuel system is ready for re-assembly in the ski. I'm hoping this is an "Over-heating" situation like Dr. Honda mentioned. I'll re-post after I get the fuel-valve.

Keep me posted on your progress too !!!

Update.......

1995 SPI - Problem Solved !!!!

After all of the above changes ......Installed new fuel selector valve..... New oil filter .... Over-heat buzzer checked out OK .... filled oil reservoir with Lucas synthetic blend that exceeds ATI-PC rating .... Changed fuel filter to inline-glass filter - the seal on OEM fuel filter was questionable - after one full turn, the lower bowl of the filter would Pop as you tightened it, not stripped - then would tighten another1/2 to 3/4 turn before it would Pop again.. The O-Ring was new. (Possible source of air leak)........ Fresh fuel in a clean gas tank .... Fired right up and ran perfectly ....... using a full tank of gas !!! I forgot to mention that the old fuel selector valve turned with difficulty - in fact - it broke the external knob that covers the valve. The new one turns with ease.

Thanks again for the input... Dr. Honda - Raider - Eddie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back