95 seadoo spx vts not working and the trim has free play?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

ssfire881

Hi guys, new here and just bought my first PWC. I was unaware that the vts wasn't working when I bought it. We've taken it out twice and have intermittently had the nose straight up when in choppy water then the nose would drop. When we took it out of the water we noticed the trim would easily move up and down manually. I completely new to vts, not even sure where to start, is it supposed to move like that and if not(which I'm pretty sure its not) what's going on here? Where do I start? T.I.A.

Hi guys, new here and just bought my first PWC. I was unaware that the vts wasn't working when I bought it. We've taken it out twice and have intermittently had the nose straight up when in choppy water then the nose would drop. When we took it out of the water we noticed the trim would easily move up and down manually. I completely new to vts, not even sure where to start, is it supposed to move like that and if not(which I'm pretty sure its not) what's going on here? Where do I start? T.I.A.
Update, the motor is working actually it trims down but not up. I meter tested the amps from the module to the motor and all 12 Amp -12 Amp. My question is can the linkage be off? Can I just replace that?

You should not be able to move the nozzle up and down by hand unless the drive shaft from the motor is broken or the metal connector rod from the end of the VTS unit shaft to the nozzle is broken. If the up/down toggle switch moved the nozzle up but will not bring it back down then you have problems within the electronic control module. There are magnetic switches that turn off the motor it you attempt to drive it too high or too low. If it goes to one end and does not return then one of those switches if probably defective.

Thank you Jim, can we just disconnect the vts with it having the free play it does? Or do we have to replace the module. The motor is up in the front compartment.

Sorry but I don't understand your message. The vts is an integrated unit that is mounted in the back of the machine with the nozzle activation rod extending through the hull into a rubber boot. There should be a metal rod connected from the nozzle to the activation rod. It seems from what you describe that the metal rod is disconnected or the activation rod in the module is broken. Have you downloaded the manual for your machine? If not, do so and you will see what I have described.

Back