95 gts getting spark and getting fuel but not starting,

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mav A

My 95 gts will sometimes start up fine when i turn it on, other times I can’t get it to start for nothing. When I try to get it to start you can tell it’s trying to start because the engine will spin for a few more revolutions when i let off the start button.I’ve taken apart the carbs nothing seems to be wrong there the spark plugs are wet. I seem to be getting good compression but I don’t have a way to check. Also I am leaking a little bit of 2 stroke oil from a unknown place don’t know if that’s relevant.

Probably worth checking the compression with a good gauge. Maybe some auto-parts stores in your area will lend or rent them instead of purchasing one. The oil leak should be tracked down but is probably not causing your startup issue.

Probably worth checking the compression with a good gauge. Maybe some auto-parts stores in your area will lend or rent them instead of purchasing one. The oil leak should be tracked down but is probably not causing your startup issue.
And what should my compression be? It’s a 587

Probably 145-150 psi would be ideal and the numbers should be close to each other. I think below 135 psi would start to be a problem. These are numbers I saw for a 787, someone could correct these if they are different for the 587.

787, 720, 650, 580 should all have the same compression. 150 is perfect and at 120 they are done and typically have a hard time starting in the water.

I had the exact same problem.
on a 94 gti . some compretion (125 on both) lots of spark . starter doing its thing....

finally ended up looking at the flywheel.
pulled the cover and found the nut was loose on the flywheel!

it had been running like this for some time cause the woodruff key to slop out, weld itself to a different part of the crank and makeing a complete mess of both the flywheel and tapered end of the crank

I'd look at that nut make sure it's tight

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220529-084232_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220529-084232_Gallery.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20220529-084239_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220529-084239_Gallery.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 5
I had the exact same problem.
on a 94 gti . some compretion (125 on both) lots of spark . starter doing its thing....

finally ended up looking at the flywheel.
pulled the cover and found the nut was loose on the flywheel!

it had been running like this for some time cause the woodruff key to slop out, weld itself to a different part of the crankand makeing a complete mess of both the flywheel and tapered end of the crank

I'd look at that nut make sure it's tight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back