94 XP 657 starter won’t turn over

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ade-r1

Hi new to the site and been searching for an answer 2 my problem all day hope some one can help me out here.

Winterized my ski last October and all was fine, so today I decided to de winterize it and get it up and running. The ski will not turn over when I press the start button no clicking or anything.

So I checked the battery which was fully charged, then decided to check all fuses which again all was fine. I’ve undone every wiring block I could see and cleaned them up, still won’t start. Undone all battery and earth cables and gave them a good clean up with some wet and dry. Jumped the starter from the solenoid and it spun over but the ski wasn’t getting a spark is it supposed to get a spark when I do this way?

When I press the start button I know its working as I can press the vts switch and the jet will move up and down so that shows the switch has power when pressed. Has anyone got any idea what it could be been outside for 6 hours on it now.

check voltage at the solenoid small terminals when you press the start button. if no voltage, check starter button by unplugging connector and see if it opens and closes circuit(vts circuit has nothing to do with the start button). if yes voltage, your solenoid is bad.

The VTS and fuel gauge will work for 30 seconds once the starter button is pressed with out the lanyard on, so I take it that the starter button is working fine i.e has power, as thats how it should work. I only have power to the solenoid from the battery side once i press the starter button it doesn't cross to the other Terminal the one that goes to the starter motor. The other two small Terminals are in a single pulg so don't know how to test power to these. If i bridge both the big Terminals with a screwdriver the starter motor spins fine but the ski still doesn't start no sparks at the plug but this is the bit i'm unsure of if i'm bridging the Terminal should the ski start like this? Cheers for your help so far:)

unplug the small plug on the solenoid and measure voltage when the starter button is pressed.

Remove the grey electric box from the hull boot by pulling back the tab. Open the box and you will see a Post all black wires are lugged to. Use your ohm meter set to continuity (beep) and check from that to block, then battery neg. The MPEM in there gets its ground from inside the magnito at the stator. On top of the Magnito houseing is a plug, you can check the black from houseing to block to check that
connection wire. Hope this helps.

Remove the grey electric box from the hull boot by pulling back the tab. Open the box and you will see a Post all black wires are lugged to. Use your ohm meter set to continuity (beep) and check from that to block, then battery neg. The MPEM in there gets its ground from inside the magnito at the stator. On top of the Magnito houseing is a plug, you can check the black from houseing to block to check that
connection wire. Hope this helps.

I've opened up the gray box and disconnected all the cables one by one to give them a good clean up and make sure all earths are good today. I will get my muti meter out tomorrow and check them out again. I've also got a 98 GTX so was thinking of taking the solenoid out of it and trying it on the XP if they are the same.

check the ebox, where your coil/rectifier is. Theres a 20amp fuse next to it, check it.

I only have 3 fuses in the electric box 2 15s and a 5 and they are both fine. Just checked battery with a meter 12.65 then checked from the neg of the battery to the solenoid in terminal and it’s the same 12.65 when checking the two small wires going in to the solenoid I disconnected them to check power and only 1 of them has when I press the starter button is this right?

Ok i have used the soleniod of my GTX which i know works and put it on the XP and the Xp is doing the same as before no power going out from the sloenoid so i'm lost now.

Found the problem it was the lanyard post i've bypassed it and the ski started up:hurray: Cheers guys for all your help:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back