1996 Sea-Doo gsx won’t turn over

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Chuck96gsx

I have a 1996 seadoo gsx that I was getting ready to take out. I fully charged the battery and plugged it in and when I hit the start button I got a few clicks. This used to happen before but would turn over eventually now it won’t. I thought it was something to due with the rear electrical box so I replaced everything that looked like it had corrosion and rust from moisture in the box. After doing that I used a volt reader to probe parts and was getting 12.3 on the left side of the solenoid and around 10-3-.5 on the right side after hitting the start button. When trying to start it now it just sounds like the starter is grinding it’s teeth and just spinning. I pulled the starter to check to see if it’s bad. I also pulled the plugs and they don’t look to have spark but the engine also won’t even turn when doing that. I’m just lost and need some direction in what to check and do next. I’d appreciate some help if anyone else had this issue. L

With the spark plugs out, remove the plastic cover from the rear of the engien and see if you can turn the white flywheel over a full 360 degrees by hand.
We want to make sure the pump and engine are not locked up before going further.

With the spark plugs out, remove the plastic cover from the rear of the engien and see if you can turn the white flywheel over a full 360 degrees by hand.
We want to make sure the pump and engine are not locked up before going further.
I was able to move it 360 by hand and can hear it turning over with the plugs out. It was very easy to turn and was no hesitation when I spun it.

Next step is to jump across the two big terminals of the starter solenoid with a screwdriver or metal object and see if the starter spins over like it should. If it does then the solenoid is bad, if it doesn't then it is the starter or cables. The low voltage on the solenoid terminal points to a solenoid being bad.

Next step is to jump across the two big terminals of the starter solenoid with a screwdriver or metal object and see if the starter spins over like it should. If it does then the solenoid is bad, if it doesn't then it is the starter or cables. The low voltage on the solenoid terminal points to a solenoid being bad.
Did that and the starter turned right over. I replaced the solenoid and it turned over half way then made the same noise. It was very quick to turn no clanking or anything. The motor would turn half way over then make the same sound again. I took the plugs out and it turns over very quickly and strong but as soon as I even put them half way in I get that noise again and half crank. Is it a battery issue? Like not having enough cranking amps to turn it fully over with it building compression. also when I took the plugs out I wasn’t getting any spark only once, then it went away I probed it and only got a few volts going to it. I’m assuming it’s the battery but I’m not sure at this point.

Load test the battery and remove it from the equation.
Battery was the issue with not having enough power to turn over fully, I replaced it now I’m having the issue of no spark. I read on another forum on here to zip tie the plugs together and see if they spark im also gonna probe the coil to see if I’m getting the right amount of volts.

I have a 1996 seadoo gsx that I was getting ready to take out. I fully charged the battery and plugged it in and when I hit the start button I got a few clicks. This used to happen before but would turn over eventually now it won’t. I thought it was something to due with the rear electrical box so I replaced everything that looked like it had corrosion and rust from moisture in the box. After doing that I used a volt reader to probe parts and was getting 12.3 on the left side of the solenoid and around 10-3-.5 on the right side after hitting the start button. When trying to start it now it just sounds like the starter is grinding it’s teeth and just spinning. I pulled the starter to check to see if it’s bad. I also pulled the plugs and they don’t look to have spark but the engine also won’t even turn when doing that. I’m just lost and need some direction in what to check and do next. I’d appreciate some help if anyone else had this issue. L
Thanks for the help everyone I really appreciate it. I had an extra coil pack laying around and put it in and it fired right up! She’s ready to rip now

Back