94 GTS fuel problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DPSkiman

After replacing all of the grey fuel lines, and last year, the fuel selector, using an in-line fuel filter that you can see the fuel, the motor simply won't pull any fuel from the tank. I replaced one hose at a time to ensure there was no mixup, but it simply won't crank without starting fluid. I can "run it" on starting fluid, but never see any fuel being drawn from the tank. Suggestions?

Just an FYI... It's hard on your engine to run it on starter fluid. It's very "Dry", and it won't allow the oil from your injector to get into the engine. It's OK to use it to get a flooded engine started... but use it sparingly.

Ok... as far as your prob... yes, the fuel selector is probably plugged up from the green goo of the old fuel lines. (it's common) You will need to take it apart, and clean it out.

Already did that

I checked my new selector (from last year) when replacing the hoses, it was not dirty, and validated proper operation of the valve with compressed air. I did try to remove the pickup tube from the tank, but it would not come all of the way out with the tank in place. I gave up and put it back in and tightened it. Might I may have fouled up there?

Any air leak will result in this, in your replacement of fuel lines I think you may have crossed the pulse line from the crankcase with something and now the carb internal pump is not seeing the pulse it needs to actuate the diaphram pump which would draw fuel thru the network of lines/filters or you have a seal on the bowl that skidded to the side letting the air in, use a dab of grease on the water/filter bowl and see if it fills from cranking - you should pour a coffee shop spoon of weedeater gas into each hole so there is some oil to help the sliding parts slide - hopefully you get some oil from the tiny lines to spray the rotating parts - verify this by marking the tank and use premix in 5 gallon sizes until you are certain the oil is drinking.

yup, inspect the o-ring in the inline "oem" fuel filter, remove the filter you installed, just another place to go bad/draw air

Not exactly sure

I don't really understand your last post. Can you simplify please? I did check all the new hose clamps to ensure they were secure. I also blew 5psi air from the carb vent hose back to the tank to ensure that nothing was obstructing there...heard bubbling in the tank, as expected. I also read in another post that the spark arrestor had to be in place, so I put that back in...crank crank, and I still don't see any "draw" of fuel from the tank.

theres an o-ring inside the white cannister inline fuel filter, removethe cannister and inspectthe hose, or you can take the fuel line from filter to carb, and connect directly to the 'res" fitting off the tank, this will eliminate the fuel switch and filter for now. See if it fires up.

Bottom Of The Fuel Pickup

On the bottom of the fuel pickup there is a screen.. I have found on a couple of older skis that the screen was clogged with crap. I just took a razor blade and cut it out. There are two other filters in line so removing it is not a real big deal..

Still no luck

I've rechecked all of the new fuel lines, I've blown 5psi through the return line from the carb to the tank, removed the tank pickup (no screen or filter on the bottom). After running out of other options, pulled the carb, all appears normal, even the little thimble-sized filter I replaced 2 years ago was not gummed up. I'm completely at a loss, it simply won't draw fuel. Also, I remove the in-line filter I moved to a few seasons ago and went back to the factory fuel filter (courtesy of a new $6.50 O-ring from the local dealer), no luck.

You have to check the pulse line under the carbs to the rear carb with the pump, if you were to have an extension of this line in your hand and wrapped a kids birthday balloon on the end as the motor revolved around the balloon would grow and shrink - this is the pulsing needed to actuate the carb internal pump and on a tight fuel system it will draw the fuel up from the tank all the way to the carbs and the extra fuel is sent back via the other long hose going to the tank, this recirculating is why it takes years for the grey fuel line goo to plug a system. But anyway back to your machine with new lines, it is likely you do not have the pulse line at the right spot on the carb and it is mixed with one of the others or at the tank where the bundle of 4 hoses come together you have the line looking for fuel connected to a vent therefore it draws air and more air.
The other possibility is the fuel control is off and working fine, but I think you would have checked that once already.

If you know for a fact that the hoses are hooked up right, there are no leaks, and they are not clogged... then the pump isn't pumping.

Check the pulse line as VooDoo says to do... and if that checks out... then the little check valves, or the diaphragm in the pump are bad.

Great idea

Thanks for the balloon idea, I'll try that next. BTW, hoses are correctly routed as I was careful to only change one at a time to avoid confusion. Now if I could just find a balloon?.....I'll report back later today. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Still no luck

I tried the balloon on the end of a short piece of fuel line, nothing. Just to make sure, I tried all three ports on the carb, no "pulse" noticed. Figuring it was the pump inside the carb, I then tried rerouting one line direct from the tank pickup to the carb, cranked, no luck....however, when pulling the line off the pickup tube to put it back on the filter, it had gas in it, as if the pump was functional. (recall this ski will start with starting fluid). The only things bypassed were the inline filter (has new o-ring) and fuel selector (new in '08 and checked/cleaned this spring). I feel like I'm chasing a ghost, but will not give up.

Try putting a little premix in the carb and start the ski, that may get it so it will pull fuel. If you have not done it yet just eliminate the selector switch to see what happens.

Tried that

I have tried fuel directly in the carb, it will start and run, provided I keep pouring directly in the carb. I've also tried remapping the hoses, going direct from the tank to the carb. Still, it just doesn't seem to draw fuel.

Have you cheked the carb to see if the pump side is OK. no rips in the membrane, or something broken or missing.. there are a few little rubber parts that may have just gotten old and gone bad..

Sounds like there's either insufficient pulse, a clogged pulse line, a clog in the pulse nipple on the pump, or maybe something wrong in the pump. Maybe the clear check valve discs were installed upside down. They have a blue stripe painted on them to indicate which side is up!

...They have a blue stripe painted on them to indicate which side is up!

Seriously!!! I just rebuilt my carbs this past weekend and thought those blue lines where just so you could see them when they are laying on something.

What would happen if one of those disks where put in upside down? And I am assuming by the term "UP" you mean the side facing away from the pump body???

Seriously!!! I just rebuilt my carbs this past weekend and thought those blue lines where just so you could see them when they are laying on something.

What would happen if one of those disks where put in upside down? And I am assuming by the term "UP" you mean the side facing away from the pump body???

From what I can recall from the last Mikuni kit I bought the instructions said that the check valve material was curved and that the curve should face down towards the pump casting to help it seal better. If it was installed with the edges curving up away from the casting it may not seal properly. It could be the cause of the problem you are describing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back