91 Seadoo GT wear ring question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ineedabrew

I know there are a bunch of wear ring posts but here goes: I am
replacing my seal carrier and in the process of removing the components, I was
inspecting my wear ring. It is a 91 GT. I can't tell if the wear ring had a lip
or not. (I heard some have lips and some don't). The manual shows no gasket or
anything. Where a lip might be, there was broken up black pieces of something
that was there. I chipped them all out. It was black and not the same material
as the wear ring. Some of the black material almost seemed liquified on the sides of the wear ring. Is anything suppose to be there? Thanks for any input ahead of time. Check out the pictures:

photo_1.JPGphoto_2.JPGphoto_3.JPG

the oem wear ring is a fiberglass ring with a black rubber material coating between the fiberglass and the impeller. the little peices you chipped out were probably part of the lip. when you say looks liquefied, do you mean it looks like it might have melted, or it got old and soft and now has the physical properties of chewed gum? its normal for the rubber to look like its been "smeared" when debris gets between the impeller and wear ring. that is the purpose of the ring, to take the damage instead of the more expensive impeller or jet pump housing.

Yes. Like chewed gum. Exactly. The impeller has tiny nicks, etc. but I dont think it's bad. So what do I replace it with? The lip is gone completely but cleanly. Like it was two separate pieces. Do you mean that the entire ring and lip were once covered with this coating? Because yes there is almost nothing left on the ring. Thanks ao much for the info!

Am I ok replacing it with an aftermarket ring off of eBay like this one?
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=140371076463&kw=140371076463

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back