90 Seadoo Run's on trailer Stalls in water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SighsMatters

The Problem:

I purchased a 1990 SeaDoo SP - There were several issues that needed to be corrected just to get it to start. Now that its running it seems to only run while on the trailer, and Stalls when placed in the water.

Work Performed:

The fuel tank was removed and flushed out, the fuel lines and filters were replaced. The fuel pump was rebuilt. The Carburetor was rebuilt with a new needle valve and seat installed - the float arm adjustment is parallel to the carb chamber body. The plugs were changed, and a new battery was installed.

Performance:

The "Doo" finally started - idle and throttle response seemed perfect (on the trailer) with the low speed screw adjusted 1 1/2 turns out from the seated position. However when the impeller is in the water under a load the engine "stalls".

Several attempts to restart the Doo in the water were unsuccessful. However, when the "Doo" was returned to the trailer the engine started. While the engine was running on the trailer the "Doo" was slid back into the water where the engine quickly stalled again.

Additional Info:

Full throttle was attempted in the water and the engine would only "Bog" refusing to "Rev Up". Any attempts to allow the Doo to idle in the water would only stall the engine.

Check the compression. When the compression gets low... it will do exactly what you are describing.

It should be between 130 to 145 psi.

Low Compression?

I performed a compression test today. Both plugs were removed and the throttle was held wide open, the results were 120 psi in both cylinders.

... Any thoughts or suggestions??

I'd love to get this "doo" back on the water.

the results were 120 psi in both cylinders.

... Any thoughts or suggestions??

I'd love to get this "doo" back on the water.

Time for a top-end.

If it's not beat up... you could slap in a set of rings, and it would run again. (can't say how long it will last though)

Top End:

Thanks Tony for your quick reply. I'll have to tear it down and hopefully its not too beat up. I'm hoping the quick fix will get me thru the rest of the season.

I've looked into the best and worst case scenereo's - "ring set" $26.95 with pistons $69.95, top end kits $300, with cylinder exchange $400, or remanufctured motor $500

I appreciate the info:

Dannie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back