657 ignition timing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeannemark

Hello, I have a 1995 seadoo speedster with the 657x motor. Rebuilt motor with new stator, just fired it up and stator retarded as far as slots will allow and timing is still retarded about 1/4 inch or approx 5 degrees. In the forum someone else asked a similar question and a reply was +-5 degrees was acceptable. My manual has nothing to say about that. I have a mill and opening the slots is possible but alot of work if it's not necessary. Thanks
Mark

Don't go milling anything. Your timing should not be off that much unless there is a problem somewhere. Did you make sure to install the woodruff key when you reassembled it?

yes the keyway is not missing. I've taken the flywheel out numerous times to advance the timing now it's as far as it will go I'm absolutely positive the keyway is in place. On the new stator there is three slots for it to bolt on to the block. I had to mill a fourth slot because the timing was retarded approx 90 degress. The burned out stator that was on the motor was also machined like this. It was replaced because previous owner apparently while taking off flywheel for whatever reason turned the screws for the puller in to far and crushed parts of the old stator. Motor was rebuilt due to bearing on crank not burned pistons or any electrical problems that I can tell. The motor starts right up, idles great and sounds excellent. Thanks for your reply
Mark

your the member, who had to mix/match 657 motor parts w/ 657x parts, right?
What is theboat not doing. You got it fired up, and idles great, whats wrong?

yes I'm the one with the mixmatch parts, the problem is the timing. Has anyone had their timing retarded that far and have no problems. As for now, I feel comfortable with it, just looking for another opinion.

yes the keyway is not missing. I've taken the flywheel out numerous times to advance the timing now it's as far as it will go I'm absolutely positive the keyway is in place. On the new stator there is three slots for it to bolt on to the block. I had to mill a fourth slot because the timing was retarded approx 90 degress. The burned out stator that was on the motor was also machined like this. It was replaced because previous owner apparently while taking off flywheel for whatever reason turned the screws for the puller in to far and crushed parts of the old stator. Motor was rebuilt due to bearing on crank not burned pistons or any electrical problems that I can tell. The motor starts right up, idles great and sounds excellent. Thanks for your reply
Mark

90 degrees??? Something is really wrong here. You never have to do any milling to replace a stator. Just line up the notches and install. Then double check the timing. You have the wrong flywheel on there (587). Put the proper flywheel on and install the stator in the proper position.

Chester

That's what I was thinking too. I mentioned earlier that something was not right and the incorrect flywheel may very well be the problem.

took it out for a ride, checked for leaks on the trailer all is well.
on the water for about 1 1/2 hours didn't shut it off at all just
incase it wouldn't start. everything is great no problems cheched
for leaks at idle periodically. now its time to take the kids tubing
thanks for the advice.
mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back