240 Jet Ignition Timing - replaced stator/rectifiers now timing way off

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
Took my new-to-me Sea Doo Islandia out and had a loss of power on first day of ownership. Thats what I get for towing back kids who broke down I guess. 2 years later Im still chasing the gremlins out of this thing. Heres everything I have done so far.

Serial number 0E406240

Compression tested at 135-140 PSI at all 6 cylinders
Replaced all (6) CDIs - confirmed spark gap test at all 6, +/- 5/8" spark minimum
Replaced a blown stator and both rectifiers. Tach now works properly and system charges
Replaced the trigger (was throwing codes)
Tested a different ignition switch
Removed the throttle guardian
Verified the ignition control module (black box) is not failed by trying another known good ICM
Replaced the TPS - tested out of spec maxed out at 2.5v
Replaced the port temp sensor
Rebuilt the fuel pump
Replaced the reed block due to backfire crushing it. Led me to timing issue
Replaced the rev limiter
Had Mercruiser Tech adjust timing at trigger, still 26 degrees retarded

After all of this, the spark is firing at 26 degrees retarded. I was thinking the stator might be off by a bolt hole but after rotating it one slot (appx 30 degrees) the timing is still off by 26 degrees retarded. The stator has been replaced to the location it was originally set.

Is this something the computer is known to do if damaged by stator voltage? I have been throwing parts at this thing trying to make it right, most of which needed to be done. Any help from the gurus on here is much appreciated! Please save me from myself (and the marine mechanic)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Pretty sure the stator does not control ignition timing. That comes from the trigger base. Also under the flywheel.

Merc tech should have known that.

Timing is controlled by the trigger under the flywheel. It is connected via a small "arm" to the large linkages on the port-side of the motor that move with the throttle. The service manual details how to test and set the timing. It's not as easy as in an old car, where you just twist the distributor until it's right. You have to adjust 2 (or 3?) bolts that limit the arm movements at idle and max throttle. This is on top of setting base timing. I remember it being involved... but do-able. I had to set/adjust mine when I replaced my Trigger last year.

The tech replaced the trigger and we are still encountering the problem with timing being off. Is there anything else in the system that could effect timing of firing?

I had suspected the rev limiter previously as there was a thread here somewhere about how the sequence retards timing cylinder by cylinder starting with number 1. Considering number 1 is where you pull power for the timing light it was a worthwhile attempt. Did not help replacing.

The tech told me today when he was adjusting the timing it would jump all over the place. Any thoughts?

The tech replaced the trigger and we are still encountering the problem with timing being off. Is there anything else in the system that could effect timing of firing?

I had suspected the rev limiter previously as there was a thread here somewhere about how the sequence retards timing cylinder by cylinder starting with number 1. Considering number 1 is where you pull power for the timing light it was a worthwhile attempt. Did not help replacing.

The tech told me today when he was adjusting the timing it would jump all over the place. Any thoughts?

Years ago, I was discussing timing with a tech for Merc outboards (same engine). He told me there is black box that plugs into the ignition controller box to stabilize timing. Dealer only, not avail. as a part. Never seen one listed anywhere.

Has your static timing been set? Involves dial indicator into #1 spark plug hole.

I can ask. He had a black box on hand he tried but did not fix. I stopped by the shop today to bring him an OEM stator as the aftermarket brand new one was a sticking point for troubleshooting with Mercury.

My tech seems to think the brand new trigger may be junk out of the box.

Thanks for the thoughts. If I get more info I will post it here.

I can ask. He had a black box on hand he tried but did not fix. I stopped by the shop today to bring him an OEM stator as the aftermarket brand new one was a sticking point for troubleshooting with Mercury.

My tech seems to think the brand new trigger may be junk out of the box.

Thanks for the thoughts. If I get more info I will post it here.
I have been running a CDI brand for the last couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back