60hp vs 90hp vs vtech tuned VIDEO!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

manolocross

You gotta check this out! Very interesting!
[video=youtube;BXTkjjkYEbs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXTkjjkYEbs&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Thanks for sharing.. VTech starting working on this as soon as news hit about the Spark. We will have the tune available shortly on PWC Muscle.

I also embedded the video for you.

Spiffy; but at night and no numbers? the last shot did seem quicker.

I do like how quiet this is compared to my fleet of 951 skis. Shame I spent 20k on a shower this year lol.

Spiffy; but at night and no numbers? the last shot did seem quicker.

I do like how quiet this is compared to my fleet of 951 skis. Shame I spent 20k on a shower this year lol.

That's when you finance it :thumbsup:

Def the final run is fastest! How much do you guys think a flash to ecu like this will cost? It should make hp into the 100 range!!!

http://www.vtechtuned.com/sea-doo-spark/

More info here, kinda. I would assume that unless you have the stock tune to dump back in before you take it to the dealer you won't have a warranty leg to stand on if they check the firmware. That's a big IF you can redump the stock tune or if Vtech can suck a stock tune back out of one, it might just be a one way street if you know what I mean.

The tune credit(firmware) is separate from the actual Maptuner(Hardware) device required to download to the ski. So you will get 109 HP from a Spark. You can share the maptuner with as many guys as you like, but you're on the hook for EACH tune you need to download to the Spark. So you can't buy one tune and load it in 5 skis, all 5 skis need to buy a tune credit for each vehicle. By watching the videos it's all done over the internet, no cheating them. There is another site with pricing but I would prefer HFGreg to get his pricing listed here on the SDF.

Since the throttle is fly-by-wire.... I'm sure it's just giving you more, faster. (That's why it jumps) The stock tune was done for comfort, so I'm sure the engineers set how fast the physical throttle opens, to keep it in the water. Also, to keep the stress down on the drive.

Regardless... look like fun. :thumbsup:

FYI... the website says you can return to stock. So, it shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
So; if the engines are identical; what's my incentive to buy the 90HP from sea-doo? are the props different? are the option levels different?

130HP would put it over the Power to weight of a RXP-260.

So; if the engines are identical; what's my incentive to buy the 90HP from sea-doo? are the props different? are the option levels different?

Impeller: 2014 SPARK All models 267-000-584

There is none...

Once you get the Vtech you will exceed both the 60 and the 90. Sooo,,, buy it the cheapest you can then get a tune. Especially the impeller is the same.

Really makes this an easy option if you are looking at a Spark in your future.

You can't get the RBi with the 60hp... and the 3 up is only the 90. BUT... the tuner, and a license is $600.

Where did you see 10hp? I saw 109, from 90 thats 19. Dont think that's a bad price. Although I don't completely understand it.

Where did you see 10hp? I saw 109, from 90 thats 19. Dont think that's a bad price. Although I don't completely understand it.

Hey guys... one BIG thing to remember here.........

They may be getting an extra 19 HP out of the Spark engine... but is that SAFE HP???? With a 2-stroke, you can continue to spin the engien higher and higher, without any reall issues. (Assuming you keep fuel, and quenching in check)

With a 4-stroke, you have the issue with all the extra parts, not liking the higher RPM's. Especially the valves, and springs. OK... on our 2-strokes, they put a simple rev limiter on it, and it cuts the ignition. On this engine, the RPM's are controlled via the ECU, and it pulls the throttle back. This new tune, it simply holding the throttle open, and letting the engine over rev. There's no real magic here. More RPM's=More HP.

So the question is... for a recreational rider... how will that extra RPM effect the engine life? Also, are the valves starting to float at all????? Will the valve springs break? With the valve stem break? How long will it take to stretch the valves?

Don't get me wrong... I think it's VERY cool... but it's a little expensive. I think for the price of the tuner box, it should come with one license. But that aside... did the tuning company look at any of the possible issues with the over-rev?

******EDIT****

I wonder if there is any ignition cut in the ECU??? If there isn't, and it's all in the "Fly-by-wire" system.... I bet I could build a piggy-back system to do the same thing. That way, it would be cheaper, and it woudln't leave a fingerprint in the ECU. (for warranty)

I wouldn't be against installing stronger valve springs to overcome the higher rpms. Another thing, can the hull handle the extra speed?

There is no way I would dicker around on something that cost $8k and risk voiding the warranty. There is a good chance that in a couple years they will be building them with 100 hp anyways.

Sorry, 19HP. that's only $31.58 a HP! for an engine with no proven modification reliability.

Yes, the tech is cool, however at that price point, and defeating the warranty purpose of a brand new ski... I'll pass.

my 951s will run circles around this thing. If they were pushing 130 factory, warranty, I'd already have my order in.

more power will get you moving faster, but unless they are also moving the rev limiter, your top speed will remain the same. which, although is part perception... my 12 year old GTX with my wife on it... will still pass the spark..

Unless you spin the prop faster, you will still move at the same rate...

And, similar to cars, i'm sure the factory and dealer are working on ways to detect modifications.. and why shouldn't they be? they warranty THEIR product. Not the product someone has modified...

I'm all for playing with the electronics on anything, I manage application development for a living, I write apps, queries, etc. But I'm just not seeing that the result is worth the outlay of cash, or risk of a blown, expensive engine...

If I am to spark it up, for me, stock and warranty is how I'll ride mine... although at 8k... your within spitting distance of a used RXP-X 260... which I'd rather be on ;) (since I have my 951 skis to satisfy my need for spins).

Sorry, 19HP. that's only $31.58 a HP! for an engine with no proven modification reliability.

Yes, the tech is cool, however at that price point, and defeating the warranty purpose of a brand new ski... I'll pass.

my 951s will run circles around this thing. If they were pushing 130 factory, warranty, I'd already have my order in.

more power will get you moving faster, but unless they are also moving the rev limiter, your top speed will remain the same. which, although is part perception... my 12 year old GTX with my wife on it... will still pass the spark..

Unless you spin the prop faster, you will still move at the same rate...

And, similar to cars, i'm sure the factory and dealer are working on ways to detect modifications.. and why shouldn't they be? they warranty THEIR product. Not the product someone has modified...

I'm all for playing with the electronics on anything, I manage application development for a living, I write apps, queries, etc. But I'm just not seeing that the result is worth the outlay of cash, or risk of a blown, expensive engine...

If I am to spark it up, for me, stock and warranty is how I'll ride mine... although at 8k... your within spitting distance of a used RXP-X 260... which I'd rather be on ;) (since I have my 951 skis to satisfy my need for spins).

Warranty works gets denied and you out flipping bill.

Audi does updates when you bring car in. They see a counter type reading on ECU and flag your car.
Subaru does the same or play the abuse card when your car comes in with all the latest go fast parts.
:reddevil:

What about 60hp to 109hp? Thats pretty cheap horsepower. Ive seen a lot of four stroke guys spend $1000 for 10 hp.

Back