60hp vs 90hp vs vtech tuned VIDEO!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
I wouldn't be against installing stronger valve springs to overcome the higher rpms. Another thing, can the hull handle the extra speed?

Unlike a car engine... when you put on heavier springs to get that valve closed faster... you then run into the problem of crushing a valve seat, cupping the valve head, or stretching/breaking the stem. (this is the kind of stuff I deal with in my shop on motorcycle engines)

I guess the real prob is... the 3 cyl ACE engine is new, and we don't have any REAL life data.

What about 60hp to 109hp? Thats pretty cheap horsepower. Ive seen a lot of four stroke guys spend $1000 for 10 hp.

It's not the same. The 60hp ACE engine IS the 90 hp engine, and it's just a lower RPM via the computer. In this case, you are simply unlocking the engine to it's designed power.

When the guys look for power on the 4-tec engine... they are physically changing things, since that engine is running at it's max potential.

Max RPM can't be the only thing they change.. is it? I'd feel jaded if the tach went to 8k and the ski did like 6k... I'd have to start paddling along side it...

the fact that it's the same prop would lead me to believe these models have more in common than they claim.

60 vs 90 HP at the push of some electronics... why even make a 60 HP version?! the OEM cost can't be that much different...

Maybe I should take my spare 951 and build a go-kart while we wait...

As I have posted before I have been told that the Display is related to the ECU so you cannot simply reflash. Its a reliable source, but it could be incorrect.

Max RPM can't be the only thing they change.. is it? I'd feel jaded if the tach went to 8k and the ski did like 6k... I'd have to start paddling along side it...

60 vs 90 HP at the push of some electronics... why even make a 60 HP version?! the OEM cost can't be that much different...

I said the same thing before they came out.

It has nothing to do with production costs... it has to do with PROFIT. Basically... the margin on the 60hp unit is going to be VERY low. BUT, they can lure people into the dealerships with the LOW price tag. Then, once you are there, and the salesman does his job... you walk out with the 90hp, with the basic upgrade pack, and some other options. AND... this is where they make their $$$

Think about it... the $600 for the 90hp version is PURE PROFIT to seadoo, since it's just a software change. So, they are going to push you to buy the more powerful ski.

You have to remember... this is a fly-by-wire throttle. So, the computer can make it any HP they want it to be. With that said... I'm sure the engine can spin higher, and make more power, but Rotax deemed that the 90hp mark was the best for reliability and long life.

I said the same thing before they came out.

It has nothing to do with production costs... it has to do with PROFIT. Basically... the margin on the 60hp unit is going to be VERY low. BUT, they can lure people into the dealerships with the LOW price tag. Then, once you are there, and the salesman does his job... you walk out with the 90hp, with the basic upgrade pack, and some other options. AND... this is where they make their $$$

Think about it... the $600 for the 90hp version is PURE PROFIT to seadoo, since it's just a software change. So, they are going to push you to buy the more powerful ski.

You have to remember... this is a fly-by-wire throttle. So, the computer can make it any HP they want it to be. With that said... I'm sure the engine can spin higher, and make more power, but Rotax deemed that the 90hp mark was the best for reliability and long life.

That theory works if they can actually sell you the 90hp. I called every dealer in the state and they didnt have any HO 2 seaters with a 7 month order delay. I would have been happy to lay down some more cash so the dealer could reprogram the ecu to the HO but that apparently it is not an option(yet). You actually have to buy the whole machine to get what is basically 20 minutes with a laptop. What a huge marketing blunder for seadoo. Now Vtech is cashing in on this folly.

As some of the arguments about reliability were said, I have the 60 hp one and would have loved if they offered just a tune to make it 90 hp. That way I would feel safe that the engine should still last as if it were stock, but I'm a bit hesitant about pushing it to 110 hp. I'm sure that will not kill it immediately but may shorten its life.

Oh yeah.. basically do it as if its an HO model and I want to go back to the stock tune. But will that then give you sport and touring settings to switch between? I mean since the 60 hp model does not have that ability to switch modes will you basically be in sport all the time after loading the 90 hp tune?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back