4 tec timing chain guide question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

sledman1

Putting back together a 4 tec engine and I am unclear as to how the one timing chain guide is attached. Just about to close up the crank housing and I wanted to make sure that I did not need to install the one timing chain guide before I do that. I have the one guide/tensioner installed (never remove it) but the one guide that is long (PART NUMBER: 420236501 420236500) and skinny is not installed at this point. Can I slip that in from the top later on and how is it attached? I can't see at this point in the process as to how this timing chain guide is held in place. Thanks so very much for any help. Just don't want to close up the crank housing and find out later that I should of installed this part and have to tear it all down again.

chain guide.jpg

Thanks Beerdart for that info. Just what I needed. I can start getting this thing back together. Ice is finally off the lakes so it won't be long now.

Yep, just slides in from the top. Hopefully you used the new stretch bolts for the flywheel.

Thanks Ski-d00. I have new bolts for the piston rods plus bought a bolt kit which has 3 different size bolts. I know one of the sizes is the head bolts and one is for the crank housing. Not sure yet what the other size bolts are for. I will see if it matches the flywheel bolts. Good info

The third set is probably for the rocker arm shafts. Sounds like you have an SBT bolt kit. They don't include the stretch bolts for the connecting rods and don't include the flywheel stretch bolts either which both have to be ordered separately.

Thanks for taking the time to let me know that ski-d00. I think you are right on the SBT kit. I had already discovered that the rod bolts were not included and ordered those. Not much of a "bolt kit" if you still have to order the rod and flywheel bolts. You saved me from another "wait for more parts" step in this rebuild. I can get them on order today.

The crankcase bolts are not torque to yield so they never have to be replaced. Save your money for other parts or gas.:cheers:

Chester

Does anyone know if the TIMING chain can slip or jump a few teeth if u lose a tensioner? and if it does jump and timing slips a bit will the valves hit the pistons? ie: is the 4-tec an Interference or Non-interference engine?

4tec is an interference engine. It's simple to check the proper position of the crank/cam, just locate the hole in the crank lobe through the locking position hole with a flashlight and then insert a pin into the cam locking positon. This will tell you if it slipped position. If it slips one tooth, most likely you would be fine, but anything more than that you'll have pistons hitting valves and they will bend easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back